✅ SOLVED What is this type of wrench called??? VISE Wrench???

tokenhead

Feb 14, 2006
Erie,PA.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• DSCI9682.JPG
    DSCI9682.JPG
    46.4 KB · Views: 118
  • DSCI9698.JPG
    DSCI9698.JPG
    48.5 KB · Views: 116
  • DSCI9695.JPG
    DSCI9695.JPG
    45.1 KB · Views: 110
  • DSCI9704.JPG
    DSCI9704.JPG
    38.8 KB · Views: 107
  • DSCI9705.JPG
    DSCI9705.JPG
    41.9 KB · Views: 121
  • DSCI9701.JPG
    DSCI9701.JPG
    38.6 KB · Views: 116
Possibly a blacksmith tool for twisting square bar stock?

Just my fisrt thought...

DCMatt

Upvote 0
That's an interesting one. We always called such wrenches "monkey wrenches". I still used one to check the fuel oil tanks in my basement.

Looks like a square drive jaw for gas valves or axle lock bolts (large set screws to hold gears on spindles). The wing-nut tightening system is unique and probably makes it pretty collectable to the right folks.

If you go to the slte below and click on the little "PIC" symbols beside the wrenches they show the patent drawings. There were hundreds of wrench patterns in the 1880-1890's. Eventually a few became standards.

Fall 2009 Wrench Auction - Davenport, Iowa

Upvote 0
That's an interesting one. We always called such wrenches "monkey wrenches". I still used one to check the fuel oil tanks in my basement.

Looks like a square drive jaw for gas valves or axle lock bolts (large set screws to hold gears on spindles). The wing-nut tightening system is unique and probably makes it pretty collectable to the right folks.

If you go to the slte below and click on the little "PIC" symbols beside the wrenches they show the patent drawings. There were hundreds of wrench patterns in the 1880-1890's. Eventually a few became standards.

Fall 2009 Wrench Auction - Davenport, Iowa
Yes as a child( i'm 56 )my dad alway's called an adjustable "pipe" wrench a "monkey wrench" and i still use that phrase while asking for a pipe wrench...Anyway very cool auction link!!! I took a quick peek&saved it as a fav! In my area many tools were made,Many!!! And one of the first listed was a GIRARD(CHANNEL LOCK/MEADVILLE,PA.)PA wrench,Rambling! THANK YOU Charlie P.(NY)

Upvote 0
This wrench with some research was advertise as a combo pipe / Nut wrench after looking at some with the same square hole I believe that's what it is. does it have any brand ar pat numbers ??? the description below is one with the same functions and close to yours

combination nut and pipe wood handled center screw adjust wrench. This wrench was advertised as "Rouse's Yankee Combination Pipe, Bolt and Nut Wrench". Patented by J. Sanders 7-18-1882 and mfg by R. R. Rouse Mfg. Co. of Indianapolis, Indiana (earlier by Noblesville Foundry & Machine Co. of Noblesville, Indiana). Good+ with a few minor dings, replaced handle, stamped owner's ID "J. R. KILLEN". (see S618, C270)

https://www.google.com/search?q=vin...om%2F2014-fall-auction%2Fcatalog.html;900;540

Upvote 0
This wrench with some research was advertise as a combo pipe / Nut wrench after looking at some with the same square hole I believe that's what it is. does it have any brand ar pat numbers ??? the description below is one with the same functions and close to yours

combination nut and pipe wood handled center screw adjust wrench. This wrench was advertised as "Rouse's Yankee Combination Pipe, Bolt and Nut Wrench". Patented by J. Sanders 7-18-1882 and mfg by R. R. Rouse Mfg. Co. of Indianapolis, Indiana (earlier by Noblesville Foundry & Machine Co. of Noblesville, Indiana). Good+ with a few minor dings, replaced handle, stamped owner's ID "J. R. KILLEN". (see S618, C270)

https://www.google.com/search?q=vintage+tractor+wrench&biw=1231&bih=579&tbm=isch&source=lnms&sa=X&ei=5a1vVJCnIdPkoASSw4Ao&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ#tbm=isch&q=vintage+adjustable+wing+nut+wrench&facrc=_&imgdii=_&imgrc=txs6WsYa8pu4wM%253A%3BoGg6tSY9Dhez9M%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwrenchingnews.com%252F2014-fall-auction%252Fphotos%252FF14-0161-183.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwrenchingnews.com%252F2014-fall-auction%252Fcatalog.html%3B900%3B540
Thank You for input,I've been looking at that auction site&there is around 5,000 pics!!! #161 look's close but as you can see mine has a wing-nut to adjust&that is what has me stumped! I have NOT seen any wrench like that yet! There are some letter's on one side but not enough to put together...1st. look's like an S and last a D with much space in between above that i can almost make out CO(ompany?)...I'll try&get a close up.Again thank you for input!!! HAPPY HUNTING ALL!

Upvote 0
close up???

This is as close as i can get but this is as much as i can see!!! HAPPY HUNTING ALL!!!

Attachments

• DSCI9815.JPG
    DSCI9815.JPG
    62.2 KB · Views: 107
  • DSCI9818.JPG
    DSCI9818.JPG
    55.6 KB · Views: 106
Upvote 0
SOLVED!!!

Well maxpower must know his stuff as his responce was correct! It is a buggy wrench patented in oct/16/1883.Patenee was Henry Artemas Thompson and were sold by PORTLAND WRENCH CO.,Portland,Maine. And the DIAMOND WRENCH CO. also out of Portland.And they are supposed to be rare.I have not seen any price's yet as the one's sold just sold this past fall and i have to contact someone for price's realized.
I found this on THE WRENCHING NEWS/Or THE WRENCHINGNEWS,Either way i;m sure a simple search would pull it up...So hat's off to maxpower:notworthy:,I am greatful!!!
HAPPY HUNTING ALL!!!

P.S. There was a very similar patent grated to a John N.Hill from Franklin Falls,N.H. But no known wrench's were produced! I must look into this! From the pics my wrench is #113 and #503,More so the 503 as it is the same length as mine(10.5in.)113 doe's NOT have the metal end cap.

Attachments

• CFA-55_496-504.jpg
    CFA-55_496-504.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 119
  • Herr-112-118.jpg
    Herr-112-118.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 113
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back