20140519_220504.jpg
    420 KB · Views: 89
  • 20140519_220534.jpg
    20140519_220534.jpg
    427.7 KB · Views: 99
  • 20140519_220608.jpg
    20140519_220608.jpg
    414.1 KB · Views: 92
That is for holding an oar on a row boat it screws into the boat.It is called an oar lock.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Apparently from "Back-of-the-boat" you have had a good view of these objects!

Upvote 0
An oar lock has to be able to pivot. I don't' see any mechanism to allow for that. Also, you would have to thread the oar through the hole which would be horribly inconvenient.

Upvote 0
An oar lock has to be able to pivot. I don't' see any mechanism to allow for that. Also, you would have to thread the oar through the hole which would be horribly inconvenient.

One can find lots of oar locks that have an almost closed circular part where the oar is almost permanently in place and ready for use. I agree about the pivoting, never seen one with a threaded, conical screw-in part. Well, it could work as a pivot-point if not screwed all the way in but the wear on the wooden base...

Does this thing look like it's made up of more than one (rusted together) pieces or is it just my eyes playing tricks on me? Reminds me of a steer's nose clamp...

Upvote 0
One can find lots of oar locks that have an almost closed circular part where the oar is almost permanently in place and ready for use. I agree about the pivoting, never seen one with a threaded, conical screw-in part. Well, it could work as a pivot-point if not screwed all the way in but the wear on the wooden base...

Does this thing look like it's made up of more than one (rusted together) pieces or is it just my eyes playing tricks on me? Reminds me of a steer's nose clamp...

I agree, but the enclosed ones still have a pivot pin whereby the oar with the oar lock in tow, can be removed from the boat.
I am thinking that this is a pipe bracket of some sort, perhaps used to mount a vertical pipe to the side of a house or something of that nature.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
looks like a rein guide....images.jpg

Upvote 0
I agree that oars should pivot, but on the lake I grew up fishing, that is what they had screwed into the boat's side rail and the oars didn't fit tight they were a sloppy fit and could slide out if you weren't careful, lost an oar more than once out in the middle of the lake.Maybe they were intended for another use as Bigfoot1 suggests, but on the lake I fished as a child, that is what was on the row boats.

Upvote 0
Ya know, now that you mention it I, too, have seen those on boats before. The thing is.... I'm thinking it may be a rein due to the location and lack of water near anywhere remotely close to where I found this. Other items found near this old foundation site date early 1900's (Buttons). But then again a horse and buggy pulling a boat wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility here in MO either in yesteryears or tomrrow.

Thanks folks. I really appreciate your help. I'm marking this solved and moving on with either two as a possibility.
Tim

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back