What is this thing?!?

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
This was soemthing i found earlier when i got into the hobby, I found it on farmland in my woods, i am fairly sure its over 100 years old and maybe even 150 or 200 years old. the amount of rust on it is crazy and im usrprised you can even make out the checkered pattern on the back. It has a thick bar-like part going thru the middle which leads me to believe its a blade of some sort and that is there to add strength. I was thinking a farm tool attachment? Sorry if i already posted this a long time ago but i really wanna know what this is, its been bugging me for a year or so now :P

Attachments

• Whatsitblade.JPG
    Whatsitblade.JPG
    43.2 KB · Views: 453
  • Whatsitblade (1).JPG
    Whatsitblade (1).JPG
    38.6 KB · Views: 471
  • Whatsitblade (2).JPG
    Whatsitblade (2).JPG
    43.8 KB · Views: 467
Reminds me of a Badmitten(SPELLING?) Pole stake.

Upvote 0
Looks like a piece of steering linkage for an old tractor, or maybe piece to a tongue for some type of farm equipment...
Good luck on the ID, & Happy hunting~

Upvote 0
How about a tooth off a spike drag? Was it near a farmers field or rock pile?

Upvote 0
If the top where the hole is were broader and didn't have the hole, I would assume it was a wedge, for splitting logs. But assuch, I don't think so. I don't know, but all finds are good finds, as they say...so...good find. :)

Upvote 0
The diamond pattern reminds me of
something you would step on to or
it could possibly be a brake or clutch
pedal from a tractor.HHs

Upvote 0
FreeTwoDetect is correct. It is a spike from a spike-drag used for turning under fields. Probably not more than 80 or 90 years old since they were usually pulled behind tractors. The hole at the top would allow a common shaft to pass through it that would have with other spikes attached to it. The common shaft would be operated by the tractor operator to lift the entire rig out of the soil for transport to and from the grading site. Used to see a more modern version of this used when I was growing up in Louisiana in the 60's and 70's.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the ID! couldnt find any pics on google but it makes alot of sense, i figured it was for something that was dragged. I wonder how it was connected to the thing...

Upvote 0
Thanks, i couldn't really tell what it was because it was a huge blob of rust when i found it, then i lightly tapped it with a plastic mallet and the rust broke off revealing the neat pattern on it.

Upvote 0
Scroll up, he already viewed this topic and said it was cool but didn't have any advice on it. I think free and narked are right though, that is what i originally thought it was too. Thanks ;) and btw- you and him are finding some great stuff...

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back