🔎 UNIDENTIFIED What is this thing and what is it made of ?

TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had this for a long time, kinda looks like silver but clearly it does not stand up under the acid test.
Written on the inside it says "Bert and Iris May, 1917
Bought at a yard sale several years ago, because it had hallmarks, and metal looks like something good, but could never tell what it was.. :dontknow: ;D

Attachments

• IMG_6407.JPEG
    IMG_6407.JPEG
    1.3 MB · Views: 82
  • IMG_6408.JPEG
    IMG_6408.JPEG
    1.3 MB · Views: 68
  • IMG_6410.JPEG
    IMG_6410.JPEG
    1,005.2 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_6411.JPEG
    IMG_6411.JPEG
    1.2 MB · Views: 61
Last edited:
whats it say on the inside rim? kinda looks like silver to me. but being that old you would think it would have that black coating silver gets. and there is no "925" or "sterling"? maybe its silver plated.

Upvote 1
Maybe it is pewter.

Upvote 1
I see HANDMADE followed by a Quartered Shield (With some design above that, thought a bee at first, then feather plumes, or knights head), with PATENT PENDING beneath that. But I can't make out the shield design.

Where's Red-Coat? He's a walking talking encyclopedia on stuff like this!

ETA: Bottom left of shield looks like a scroll in a laurel leaf. I swear the top left looks like an anvil or something. Maybe I'm starting to see things (Pareidolia) since I've been staring at the picture so long.

20230717_210534.jpg

20230717_210559.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 2
what's it say on the inside rim? kinda looks like silver to me. but being that old you would think it would have that black coating silver gets. and there is no "925" or "sterling"? maybe its silver plated.
it says "Bert and Iris May, 1917"

Upvote 0
I also acid tested it for silver, but it immediately disappeared ..

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back