WHAT IS THIS ORIENTAL FIGURE???

tokenhead

Feb 14, 2006
Erie,PA.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everybody!!! I found this odd figure today,It's approx.5in. high what it is made of stumps me...I'll try&get better pics,Anyway it's NOT resin/plastic,etc.as it pass the needle test.The face looks like ivory or bone.It was said that it was made of stone but on some chip mark's it look's to be wood!!! And i'm sure it's not.For it's size it is heavy,Approx.5+lbs.
Also it appears to have a patina from handling and at front or i should say side there is a hole running through.Made like that? do NOT know.
I have heard some ivory&bone figures were glued together.ANY HELP WILL BE GREATLY appreciated!!!...A man with a tale!??! I think there is some type of oriental myth???,
Thank's all and HAPPY HUNTING!!!

Attachments

• DSCI7384.JPG
    DSCI7384.JPG
    60.5 KB · Views: 128
  • DSCI7386.JPG
    DSCI7386.JPG
    54 KB · Views: 122
  • DSCI7387.JPG
    DSCI7387.JPG
    59.6 KB · Views: 117
  • DSCI7390.JPG
    DSCI7390.JPG
    47.5 KB · Views: 114
  • DSCI7398.JPG
    DSCI7398.JPG
    45.9 KB · Views: 116
  • DSCI7391.JPG
    DSCI7391.JPG
    52.7 KB · Views: 115
  • DSCI7397.JPG
    DSCI7397.JPG
    55.6 KB · Views: 123
I believe this is Central American/South American, probably Toltec and is of a dwarf I suspect. What it's made of, no idea. And am not positive of id, but pretty sure.

Upvote 0
i dont see the hole?.... yeah it sure does look like wood but some stone will chip and look that way even if it is not petrified wood. is that a tail i see on the back?...like a monkey? so....perhaps a monkey/man? I don't know much about the mythology of that sort of image, must agree that it has central american characteristics to the face, but also asian....

so, is it wood or stone?

Upvote 0
sort of a sumo wrestler sort of pose but the long lobed ear is odd and it looks like it has a monkeys tail on the rear of it -- a stylized monkey / human hybrid figure --for a temple of sorts?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
i dont see the hole?.... yeah it sure does look like wood but some stone will chip and look that way even if it is not petrified wood. is that a tail i see on the back?...like a monkey? so....perhaps a monkey/man? I don't know much about the mythology of that sort of image, must agree that it has central american characteristics to the face, but also asian....

so, is it wood or stone?
The hole is diffacult to see,Yes it is a tail...I am not sure of material,Face looks to be ivory but the rest does not..It's NOT resin.Thank you for input!!!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back