✅ SOLVED What is this on medal ?

Cariboo5

Oct 27, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good size medal at 4 3/4 inches. There is one area circled in red that I am not sure of what this is suppose to be.
This medal I believe tells a story of which I do not know either. Thoughts, comments of what the circled item is and what the story
this medal is telling are appreciated.....Thanks to all in advance...........

LMedal Rec Circle.jpg.....LMedal Back.jpg.....LMedal Red Sized.jpg

The round thing looks like a shield.. the rectangularish thing almost looks like a harp, or maybe a quiver. A lot going on in this image. There are also serpents in the clouds.

Upvote 0
I'm absolutely worthless with this one-

In the clouds I see two snakes, a sailing ship, the gate to heaven, a squirrel, one crab and, well, a cloud.

Upvote 0
Likely Cupid, Venus, and Mars.

But I didn't see any 'famous' versions that match...

DCMatt

Upvote 0
Correction - Venus Lamenting the death of Adonis - or some version of that scene.

Upvote 0
The thing you have circled in red might be a Roman chariot?

Upvote 0
Correction - Venus Lamenting the death of Adonis - or some version of that scene.

I think you nailed it DCMatt. Researching your "Venus Lamenting the death of Adonis" online I found several versions in paintings and sketches. One description almost describes
this medal to a tee. Description is:

" The goddess fell in love with the young hunter after accidentally scratching herself on one of Cupid's arrows. She hunted alongside him and warned him against pursuing such beasts as lions and boars. But once, when Adonis was hunting alone, his dogs roused a wild boar that gashed him deep in the groin and killed him. Venus saw her slain lover from her skyborne chariot and descended to earth. Grief-stricken, she sprinkled nectar over Adonis's blood. From it sprang the delicate, red-blossomed anemone."

Thanks all for your input and thanks DCmatt for solving this....

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back