What is this lady wearing

I don't know what she's wearing, but she sure looks like one tough dude!?!

Upvote 0
Makes me think of what a Magistrate in England wore in court. Except I don't recall seeing any female officials.

Upvote 0
Have you noticed that all pics from back then....Nobody smiled. Guess it don't make them mean.

Upvote 0
They didn't smile because of the cameras exposure time

Upvote 0
Man that eye brow must be at least 8 inches long and 2 inches thick. Pretty sure what ever she is wearing it was to compliment that massive eye brow.

Upvote 0
Locks like a Vicorian era widows bonnet to me, but I could be wrong.

Namxat

Upvote 0
Glad she didn't smile, I suspect a snaggle tooth that would put Orca to shame.

I think its just a warm fuzzy wool bonnet with no particular purpose other than to keep the head warm.

Upvote 0
Man that eye brow must be at least 8 inches long and 2 inches thick. Pretty sure what ever she is wearing it was to compliment that massive eye brow.

"HAWHAHAWHAHHAA!!!!" Looks like "she" was pretty talented with a razor to separate the "unibrow" into two regular brows!

Upvote 0
Out of curiosity, I went to familysearch.org, the LDS database, and searched for those names. I found an (Al) Ella Maby in Florida, NY, born 1872, with more data, showed up there in 1892 census. I believe Al was a nickname for Ella which was in those days a common name for girls.

I assumed the Delaware was not the state, but a husband's surname. There were many Delawares in that area at that time. I found nothing else on that name later. No marriage; no death record; no kids.

In 1880 census she was shown as a boarder with a family of a different name.

Without more information, it is not possible to know if it's the same person or not.

In those days, it was not uncommon for people to use different names than their documents showed, if they had any.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Looks like a Knitted Baby Bonnet & Bib that was there since Birth

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Attachments

• xh0509p1.jpg
    xh0509p1.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 63
Upvote 0
-- likely her teeth are a mess -- old photo likely very late 1800's to early 1900 era -- old bonnent type item -certain ethic groups are famous for their women having hairy eyebrows and chins sadly ( Italians and others) -- she looks like she might be peasant stock Italian -- big large bulky women --bred to be loving kind and strong as a horse to be a good "farm wife" that no one would want to steal away for her looks

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back