What is this? Key to??

def. a key maybe to a box of gold :) looks like possibly a handcuff key my dad is a trooper and his look simaliar to that just not as short and stubby

Upvote 0
I have one of these keys as well. I am assuming they are railroad related due to the stamp on mine but as to their exact use
I am uncertain.
DSC01679.JPG
DSC01680.JPG
Hope someone can fill in the blanks for you. HH,
Donny

Upvote 0
I wouldn't think the one I found is fake, It was in the middle of my woods. There is a railroad track not even 3 minutes away from my house. When I found it, there were also other keys attached with it to a key ring. When I picked up the key ring it instantly snapped from being rusted, along with the key ring snapping, a couple of keys also snapped in half from being so rusted. Along with all the keys was a whistle, kind of looks like a safety whistle. What I don't understand is why these keys would be in my woods, I live on top of a hill a little ways from the railroad track, I mean you would have to cross a field, then a road, then go up the hill I live on. Then once you are on top of my hill, you would have to go up another big hill behind my house in order to get to the woods where I found this set of keys. Idk, it's all a mystery! 8)

Upvote 0
My G-grand dad worked the railroad all his life and walked to work everyday. Maybe it's the same scenario with who ever lost those keys. -JD in WV

Upvote 0
old brass railroad lock key. i have a similar one with its lock. as to why its out there... who knows.. two guys got in a fight and one threw the others keys? one guy had a nature call and wanted to be far away from his fellow prankster employee buddies? some railroad guy was playing "night golf" in the field?

Upvote 0
I worked for the Union Pacific a long time back and keys like that were assigned to switchmen on the line. They would unlock the padlocks that secured the switches on the main line.Were quite important because if a switch was left open an the main line you could send a train off unto a siding at a pretty good speed and jeopardize alot more than your job. Things are all controlled remotely now.

Upvote 0
silverswede said:
I worked for the Union Pacific a long time back and keys like that were assigned to switchmen on the line. They would unlock the padlocks that secured the switches on the main line.Were quite important because if a switch was left open an the main line you could send a train off unto a siding at a pretty good speed and jeopardize alot more than your job. Things are all controlled remotely now.
Good answer and explanation. Nice switch lock key.
PS- The PC could stand for Pennsylvania Central R.R.,are you in Pa.?

Upvote 0
I was looking through some boxes of stuff and found another one. This one is a little smaller my other one and has a little corrosion on it but is still nice.
DSC01685.JPG
DSC01684.JPG
HH,
Donny

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back