✅ SOLVED What is this? Is it worth anything? Found in 93 year old uncles belongings

Thesmolar

Greenie
May 1, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can someone help me figure out what this is? Been trying to get information on it but can't find anything. My uncle was is WW2 and died recently and I found this going through his stuff. Any help would be appreciated.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1433376565.729344.jpgImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1433376576.489683.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
An individual German Commemorative semi official medallion dated 1942/43 and with the wording Eismeer Front and to the front it has the German Mountain Troop flower for the eidelweiss. The award is a nice bronze colour, most often encountered in silver, so this is a nice variation. The badge has a string loop mounted to it and was worn from one of the pocket buttons. Quite unusual to find. VGC.
GBP £125.00 (UK Pounds)

which is roughly $191.59 U.S.

here is a link to this wording.

http://www.thirdreichmedals.com/unof.html

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The bottom piece is a German watchfob and was sold in the Eismeer/Lappland front area during WW 2. The back is an edelweiss flower which was the insignia of the Gebirgsjäger or Mountain Divisions. I'm told they are fairly common, but I've never owned one, and the value is in the 80-90$ area from what I can find. The upper part commemorates the Battle of Rovaniemi, in Finland in 1944 which completely leveled the town. That badge is Finnish, (but was worn by German troops as well) and I've found values as high as $150.... I'd expect yours to fetch far less due to the damaged enamel.

Having said all that, I wonder if it was assembled by a German vet, or a Finnish vet.... If your uncle got it Germany during the war I'd assume a German soldier who fought there assembled it as a souvenir. If I had it in my collection, and wanted to sell it, I'd be asking around $200 for it as the assembled piece tells a bigger story than the individual parts. It's a really cool item and the history behind it is pretty incredible.

EDIT... AARC posted a link to a retail price, I got my info from the Wehrmacht Awards forum, which is a collector community and prices given there are what collectors are willing to pay, not what sellers are asking. Also I'm not an appraiser, I collected German WW2 militaria for many years and I'm very well versed in the field.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'd actually be open to selling it as I have no use for it
He was in Germany during the war an I know he got it off a dead soldier along with a flower but the flower was destroyed.

Upvote 0
I am many things... And might be something that sounds similar... :P

I can appraise though... but I am not a certified appraiser no...

BUT...I will give many of em a run for the money... :)

This medal was obvious German War.
Tis an easy one for me.

Upvote 0
It is combination of 2 medals, Top is Finnish/ German medal and bottom is German Eismeer Front medal. Both are most likely war booty...

Upvote 0
If you are wanting to sell it, get a membership at the Wehrmacht Awards forum, post it there for opinions and let them know you are open to offers. You'll do much better there than Ebay and it will go to someone who will appreciate it for the historical value it has.

Upvote 0
The bottom piece is a German watchfob and was sold in the Eismeer/Lappland front area during WW 2. The back is an edelweiss flower which was the insignia of the Gebirgsjäger or Mountain Divisions. I'm told they are fairly common, but I've never owned one, and the value is in the 80-90$ area from what I can find. The upper part commemorates the Battle of Rovaniemi, in Finland in 1944 which completely leveled the town. That badge is Finnish, (but was worn by German troops as well) and I've found values as high as $150.... I'd expect yours to fetch far less due to the damaged enamel.

Having said all that, I wonder if it was assembled by a German vet, or a Finnish vet.... If your uncle got it Germany during the war I'd assume a German soldier who fought there assembled it as a souvenir. If I had it in my collection, and wanted to sell it, I'd be asking around $200 for it as the assembled piece tells a bigger story than the individual parts. It's a really cool item and the history behind it is pretty incredible.

EDIT... AARC posted a link to a retail price, I got my info from the Wehrmacht Awards forum, which is a collector community and prices given there are what collectors are willing to pay, not what sellers are asking. Also I'm not an appraiser, I collected German WW2 militaria for many years and I'm very well versed in the field.

I would go with Nola's assessment on this item as well.

Upvote 0
Thank you both I am waiting on authorization so I can post

Upvote 0
You mentioned there was a flower as well? Was it a small oval shaped patch like this?

weiss.JPG

Or a pin like this one?
weiss2.jpg

If so, that would make sense, these are the insignia of the Gebirgsjäger troops.

Upvote 0
Neither it was an actual flower but it had fallen apart over the years

Upvote 0
If it belonged to Naz smash it up.with sledgehammer then sell it.

Upvote 0
I'll never understand peoples desire to destroy historical objects, yes the regime was evil, but the items in and of themselves are not.
Totally agree, no need to destroy history...

Upvote 0
All I can say is things like that belong in a museum where we can see and remember. But when people barter, sell, trade them it should be in private. When some of us see people putting worth to them in public we call it how we see it, it is not all about money. I think war trophies should come with a story, that's what the Warfighter took it for, he didn't take it for him or his family to sell away. It is something to be proud of. But that's just my opinion.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back