4 Maravedis (1816-1833) Ferdinand VII

John

Attachments

• 164-489.jpg
    164-489.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 939
Upvote 0
Re: What is this coin?

I agree with Nick on the Virginia Half Penny.
Looks Like this one I got 3 weeks ago.

Attachments

• Nazereth Coins and Relics 021.jpg
    Nazereth Coins and Relics 021.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 1,783
  • Nazereth Coins and Relics 020.jpg
    Nazereth Coins and Relics 020.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 1,664
  • Nazereth Coins and Relics 021.jpg
    Nazereth Coins and Relics 021.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 1,748
  • Nazereth Coins and Relics 020.jpg
    Nazereth Coins and Relics 020.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 1,653
Upvote 0

Shoulder line is wrong and forehead is much closer to the rim on the unknown coin. Keep looking. ;-)

Upvote 0

By the size that coin is much older, I believe it might be a William III copper. A Virginia Halpenny looks smaller, approx in worn condition 25mm, and a worn William III copper would be 28mm or larger. So measure it, if it is closer to 28mm think William III, mucho older. :)I think to know the diameter is most important in this case, I am rethinking on what it might be but the diameter in mm would help.

ADDED: Of course it could be one of the many counterfeit King George III coppers if the size is bigger than the Va Halfpenny. Charlie is correct

Upvote 0

BRctf-G3HD-1775.obv.jpg

Im going with a 1775 George III Half-penny (26.6mm diameter)

Be nice to see the back, also. ;-)

Counterfeit version of the same coin:
BRctf-G3HD-67.5g.obv.med.jpg

Upvote 0

Keep at it. You do well enough. ;)

There's a gozillion coins that all look like fathead Englishmen. Look at the base of the bust, the hair curls and the forehead . . . then hunt and peck on "colonial coinage" websites. I got lucky and started with Fat George on a hunch and found it fairly quick.

I'd MUCH rather find one of the things than identify one! :D :D :D I can compare most of what I find with what I get at the grocery store in change!

Upvote 0

Don in SJ said:
By the size that coin is much older, I believe it might be a William III copper. A Virginia Halpenny looks smaller, approx in worn condition 25mm, and a worn William III copper would be 28mm or larger. So measure it, if it is closer to 28mm think William III, mucho older. :)I think to know the diameter is most important in this case, I am rethinking on what it might be but the diameter in mm would help.

ADDED: Of course it could be one of the many counterfeit King George III coppers if the size is bigger than the Va Halfpenny. Charlie is correct
I measured it and it is over 1 inch dia., about 34 mm diameter.

Upvote 0

Attachments

• MVC-004E.JPG
    MVC-004E.JPG
    9.7 KB · Views: 1,681
Upvote 0

George III halfpennies were produced in three distinct phases:

1770–1775 (all years). Weight 9.2–10.8 grams, diameter 29–30 millimetres. Obverse shows a right-facing bust of the king, with the inscription GEORGIVS III REX, reverse shows a left-facing seated Britannia holding a spray and spear, with the inscription BRITANNIA and the date in the exergue beneath Britannia. (The king's bust has a fuller face in 1774 and 1775).
1799. Weight 12.0–13.1 grams, diameter 30–31 millimetres. Obverse shows a right-facing bust of the king, with the inscription GEORGIVS III DEI GRATIA REX, reverse shows a redesigned left-facing seated Britannia holding a spray and spear, with the inscription BRITANNIA 1799.
1806–1807. Weight 9.2–9.8 grams, diameter 29 millimetres. Obverse shows a right-facing bust of the king, with the inscription GEORGIVS III D G REX date, reverse shows a slightly different left-facing seated Britannia holding a spray and spear, with the inscription BRITANNIA.

Counterfeit coinage
In the reign of King George III (1760–1820) the first issue of halfpennies did not come until 10 years after the king's accession, in 1770. Counterfeiting was rampant, and in 1771 the utterance of counterfeit copper coin became a felony; this however had little effect and for the next twenty years or so the majority of copper so-called coins in circulation were forgeries. In March 1782 a woman counterfeiter was hanged, then fixed to a stake and burned before the debtor's door at Newgate prison in London. In a letter to Lord Hawkesbury of 14 April 1789, Matthew Boulton commented "In the course of my journeys, I observe that I receive upon an average two-thirds counterfeit halfpence for change at toll-gates, etc., and I believe the evil is daily increasing, as the spurious money is carried into circulation by the lowest class of manufacturers, who pay with it the principal part of the wages of the poor people they employ".
Wikipedia.

Maybe mine is counterfeit?

Upvote 0

That looks like more like 30mm max, is that ruler from China? ::)

1.25", which I don't think it looks that big is not even 34mm.
1 inch = 25.4mm
1 1/8 = 28.6mm
1 1/4 = 31.7mm

My largest KGIII halfpenny is about 29mm, most a tad smaller.

Nick you will not find a match as a Penny. :)

Don

Upvote 0

Don in SJ said:
That looks like more like 30mm max, is that ruler from China? ::)

1.25", which I don't think it looks that big is not even 34mm.
1 inch = 25.4mm
1 1/8 = 28.6mm
1 1/4 = 31.7mm

My largest KGIII halfpenny is about 29mm, most a tad smaller.

Nick you will not find a match as a Penny. :)

Don
:D :-[ In my rush to measure and take the picture, I didnt notice that the rule is in increments of 1/32inch and not millimeters. :D
It is 1 1/16 inch diameter.

Upvote 0

Charlie P. (NY) said:
Im going with a 1775 George III Half-penny (26.6mm diameter)

BRctf-G3HD-67.5g.obv.med.jpg
Copper coin crop.jpgGeorge III copper.jpg
I think Charlie is right. Its about 27mm dia.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back