What is this coin? (British style) love token...

staydetuned

Aug 27, 2007
San Francisco, California
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II
Howdy. I dug this in San Francisco, CA, from piles of debris of 1860's landfill that were used to fill in the bay around the city. Thought it was junk until I cleaned it up a bit and saw a definite pattern. (It's worn and corroded from water action.)

Looks and sounds like copper (Indians dug at the same spot were water-worn super thin like this.) It's slightly larger than a penny, smaller than a nickel, and bent in the shape in which you find 'love tokens' in England.

I can definitely make out a sort of 'shield' design in the center. Top of the coin would be where the white splotch is, and I can pretty surely make out a symmetrical wreath on each side that moves upward from the bottom, ending before the top (like an Indian Head penny reverse.) It's hard to see in the pictures...

the other side of the coin is too worn to see anything.

If anyone has any idea what type of coin this may be, if it is one, any help would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• WWI---Coin-02.jpg
    WWI---Coin-02.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 428
hi mate it aint a love token nor a British coin of any kind.. hope someone can ID it for you :icon_thumleft:

Upvote 0
That's an interesting find but I wonder if its not a coin but a token. Most shield designs on coins are not almost exact square shapes but have some degree of curving at the bottom to give a more traditional "shield" look.

I prefer tokens to coins. The shield to me looks more like a building though its so hard to see when an items is so worn. Why not get one of those really hard grey coloured rubbers. It would bring up the detail whilst not causing any more damage.

Upvote 0
Bramblefind said:
I've been stuck in Portugal/Colonies but I can't match the wreath :icon_scratch:

images

Good start. :icon_thumright: The Portugese Reis has a thicker wreath. This one is a 500 Reis and made of silver, so it's just for comparison purpose.

Attachments

• Portugese Reis.jpg
    Portugese Reis.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 306
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Wow, you guys are amazing! :)

I came on and saw the replies up to where it was getting narrowed down, but had to run and was out of town for yesterday. I come back, and you guys have narrowed down a VERY well worn, bent coin on which I only thought I could make out a wreath... I'm indebted; thank you guys so much for your research and expertise!

PS - While hunting in England we came across coins bent this particular way. Our guide, who I think is fairly knowledgable, claimed they were a sort of 'love token' given by one to their sweetheart, that could be held in the hand and 'fondled' between the fingers... Am I wrong?

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Upvote 0
staydetuned said:
Wow, you guys are amazing! :)

I came on and saw the replies up to where it was getting narrowed down, but had to run and was out of town for yesterday. I come back, and you guys have narrowed down a VERY well worn, bent coin on which I only thought I could make out a wreath... I'm indebted; thank you guys so much for your research and expertise!

PS - While hunting in England we came across coins bent this particular way. Our guide, who I think is fairly knowledgable, claimed they were a sort of 'love token' given by one to their sweetheart, that could be held in the hand and 'fondled' between the fingers... Am I wrong?

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Love Tokens were generally 17th-18th C & were mostly Silver although some coppers were used. Yours is also not bent quite like one.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back