what is it

naugustus

Jun 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
found this in the yard messing around. i think its made of pewter but not sure. need some help please horse.jpghorse1.jpghorse2.jpg

Someone has that as his avatar can't remember who except that he is a relic guy.

Upvote 0
Looks maybe fox hunter pendant,vanzutphen

Upvote 0
I would say that the ebay link is either for a more modern example from the same mold pattern...or they have misrepresented the age due to the finish being altered, making it look newer than it is. That is just an assumption but the one that I have is quite older than 1920-30. Same probably goes with the OP horse and rider as well. Little lead horse and rider toys have been around for a long time and here is an example from Hume's book on colonial America, dating from mid 1700s. Not saying that these two are that old but certainly earlier than the 1920s. Mine came from a site where most all artifacts were 1850-1880 time period.The OP toy is probably the same. I think these were indiscriminate from boy to girl.

DSC00003.JPGDSC00059.JPG

Upvote 0
I don't proclaim to know the age of either of these toys shown but I think the age on the one in the ebay link is pretty close. I think the shellac coating has preserved much of the finish making the lead appear much newer than it is. A couple notes- Toys containing lead were banned in 1966. Hollow lead toys were not made until the mid 1890's. Before that they were solid castings.

Upvote 0
Not to confuse the process of making toy lead soldiers with these little horse and riders. William Britain did first come up with the brilliant idea to pour molten lead into a one piece mold then pour out the excess before it set up in the core. This was the first of the hollow cast lead toys, back in 1893. These little H&R figures were made in two piece molds which was an idea from earlier on. The example of the one in Humes book was from a two piece mold and was found in Colonial Williamsburg, and is represented as being from 1750-1790. So there is a difference between a hollow lead soldier and a two piece mold lead toy, which may appear to be just another hollow toy from after 1893.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back