IMG_2829[1].JPG
    215.1 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_2830[1].JPG
    IMG_2830[1].JPG
    144.5 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_2831[1].JPG
    IMG_2831[1].JPG
    135.2 KB · Views: 123
Looks like remnant from something made on a metal lathe to me....would prison have had a machine shop?

Upvote 0
Looks like remnant from something made on a metal lathe to me....would prison have had a machine shop?
Maybe someone was making a chess piece and it broke on the lathe.

Upvote 0

Looks to me as the waste end of a metal turning that was parted off, when the original piece was finished.

Upvote 0

Agree. It is sheered off pretty clean. I would expect lead to show more twisting on a break like that. Maybe white metal or pot metal?

Just curious... What was the prison, Gila River Internment camp? My mother-in-law spent several years there as a child.

DCMatt

Upvote 0
Any guess on the material?
Brady

It's a lightweight metal. I don't think it's aluminum(keep in mind, I'm no expert). Wish I could provide more info, but the replies have been informative.

Upvote 0
Agree. It is sheered off pretty clean. I would expect lead to show more twisting on a break like that. Maybe white metal or pot metal?

Just curious... What was the prison, Gila River Internment camp? My mother-in-law spent several years there as a child.

DCMatt

It wasn't found in the Gila River Internment. Prefer not to say at this time.

Upvote 0
Looks to me as the waste end of a metal turning that was parted off, when the original piece was finished.

Having been a machinist most of my life, I would agree.

Upvote 0
It's a "dummy" end that was cut off with a bandsaw after a shaft was made. The dummy end has a center drilled hole in it. The is done sometimes when all you have on hand is a large lathe center and you're trying to turn down to a small diameter (clearance issues) or if you don't want a center left in the end of the finished part for whatever reason.

Walt (Machinist of 28 years)

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back