what is it?

RickyD

Jan 21, 2006
Washington State
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTAX 550. Garrett Pro Pointer
I found this detecting the target range at a fort that was in existance from 1859 to 1868. At the same site I found dozens of 58 cal. mini balls. It is 3 1/2 X 1 1/2 inches. It is pressed out of thin brass, and is a hand holding a chisel. On the back are remnants of what seem to be ears that held it as an emblem on the outside of a satchel or something. Any guesses?

Attachments

• kapowsin3.jpg
    kapowsin3.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 1,119
  • kapowsin3.jpg
    kapowsin3.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 1,126
  • kapowsin3.jpg
    kapowsin3.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 1,122
I can see gripping marks on the handle (the small horizontal lines). And the wrist is covered by a cuff; I can see a button on it. It also looks like some kind of emblem is on the handle.

Look like it could be a bat to me too now that you mentioned it.

HH

Attachments

• Bat.jpg
    Bat.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 1,086
Upvote 0
Is this a U.S. find or other country?

DCMatt

Upvote 0
A Cricket Bat At An 1800's Fort Site In The U.S.A. ? I Find That Very Hard To Believe, It Looks More Like A Unit Crest Of Some Kind, Maybe From A Later Date. trk5capt...

Upvote 0
trk5capt said:
A Cricket Bat At An 1800's Fort Site In Cal. U.S.A. ? I Find That Very Hard To Believe, It Looks More Like A Unit Crest Of Some Kind, Maybe From A Later Date. trk5capt...
;)

Upvote 0
trk5capt said:
A Cricket Bat At An 1800's Fort Site In The U.S.A. ? I Find That Very Hard To Believe, It Looks More Like A Unit Crest Of Some Kind, Maybe From A Later Date. trk5capt...

Maybe the unit played cricket. ;)

I find WW2 capbadges on a Roman Villa site, doesn't mean they wore them & were in the Machine - Gunner Corp. :D

Upvote 0
I suspect that this item may be related to one of the many late 19th - early 20th century fraternal orders.

As for the "cricket bat" theory: 1) the sizes of the hand and "bat" are totally disproportionate; 2) the hand is grasping the "bat" by the blade rather than the handle.

Upvote 0
PBK said:
I suspect that this item may be related to one of the many late 19th - early 20th century fraternal orders.

I agree doesn't look older than 1890s.

Upvote 0
dugfinds said:
trk5capt said:

Maybe the unit played cricket. ;)

I find WW2 capbadges on a roman villa site, doesn't mean they wore them. :D
Yes I Guess Your Right, A G.I. Can Make Him Self At Home Almost AnyWhere... trk5capt, (A Former G.I.)

Upvote 0
PBK said:

As for the "cricket bat" theory: 1) the sizes of the hand and "bat" are totally disproportionate; 2) the hand is grasping the "bat" by the blade rather than the handle.
PPK, If You Don't Mind I Think I Will Go Along With You On This One. trk5capt...

Upvote 0
Actually, this was an emblem made around 1862 by the Sterling Water Bladder Company, Allentown, PA. It was distributed to all U.S. forces to wear around their neck to remind them to drink more water and to keep their water bladders full at all time.

If the company commander asked to see the soldiers water reminder emblem and he didn't have it, the soldier was forced to dig latrines or peel potatoes for the mess sergeant.

Upvote 0
The fort that this piece was found at was Fort Steilacoom, which is just outside of Tacoma Washington. In 1868 it was given to the Washington State Territory, and was turned into an asylum for the insane, which it is to the very day...Western Washington Mental Hospital. The piece was found in a pasture across the street from where the fort was, which is part of the Fort Steilacoom Park.

Upvote 0
PBK said:

I said it looks more like a cricket bat. (Than a chisel) Not that it is one.

Upvote 0
Could be a wood chisel, I don't think it looks like a cold chisel.

Upvote 0
Not a clue here,,, neat looking find though, WTG!!!
Good luck, & Happy hunting~

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back