What is it

bluegill85

Tenderfoot
Mar 17, 2013
Found this while I was detecting an old farm house not sure what it is I believe it might be an old luggage tag. Anyone have an idea?

image-2896314370.jpg

Appears to be a B&O Railroad baggage tag. Garrett is in the extreme NE corner of Indiana. Garrett was named for John W. Garrett, who was the president of B&O from 1858 to 1884. Cool find!
Railroad Baggage Tags - Railroadiana Online

Last edited:
Upvote 0
According to the linked web page, metal tags were replaced with paper, starting with the 'early decades of the 20th century.' It also says that 'not all that many survived', due to being scrapped for the world wars. Sounds like maybe 1920-30, give or take.

Upvote 0
According to the linked web page, metal tags were replaced with paper, starting with the 'early decades of the 20th century.' It also says that 'not all that many survived', due to being scrapped for the world wars. Sounds like maybe 1920-30, give or take.

Thank you for the info. Hope to post more pics soon still a little cold in northern IN just got the detecting fever.

Upvote 0
I hear you, cool here too. But 40's and 50's next week!

Upvote 0
Got some info from a guy by the name of Dave shackelford. He is the chief curator of the B&O RR museum in Baltimore. He said it looks like a B&O Railroad toolcheck, a coin used by employees to in effect sign a tool out of the shop.
I looked online its the closest thing I've seen to it

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back