BigdogJR

Greenie
Nov 8, 2012
Oak Forest, IL
Detector(s) used
Ace 350 hope to have Etrac soon.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My dad pulled this out of the ground yesterday. It has a green patina on it. It is 1.75 inches in diameter. I wasn't with him when he found it, but he said it had a small hook on the back of it. The hook fell of though when he took it out of the hole. He found it on an old home site that was from 1902 in southern Illinois. We think it is Civil War, but not sure. Can you guys help?

image-1039668387.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

I think it's a bridal rosette...they used similar designs from the CW up to WW1 and I don't have enough experience to tell you which war it's from, but I'm sure someone here (CBG) will know for sure.

Upvote 0
Thanks Grasshopper and Jewelryguy. It's pretty neat.

Upvote 0
That looks like it. I'm going to pass that on to him and see if that's what the back looked like.

Upvote 0
As with buttons, the type of attachment-form on the back of a horsegear bridle-rosette is often very important for corectly dating its time-period. We need to see at least two well-focused closeup photos of the back, shot from different angles.

Upvote 0
I will get them and post them.

Thanks

Upvote 0
This is the best I can do with the photos. The attachment is missing from the back. Can you tell anything from this.

image-408863393.jpg

image-2373095126.jpg

Upvote 0
Thank you for the back-photos. They show your dad's dug US bridle-rosette had an iron back, as shown in the Ebay auction for a World War One era version of US bridle-rosette. There has been considerable debate in the civil war relic-collecting community about whether ironback US rosettes date as far back as the the 1860s, because only a very few have been found at civil war sites... and as many people know, post-civil-war Military gear is sometimes found at civil war sites. Insofar as I'm aware, nobody has yet stepped forward with on-paper proof (historical documents, diagrams, etc) that the ironback US rosettes date back to the 1860s, so the general consensus among Military horsegear scholars is that all the ironback US rosettes are post-civil-war. But the agreement isn't 100%, so don't toss the ironback ones into the junkbox just yet. Perhaps somebody will eventually find the on-paper Historical documentation needed to settle the question with 100% certainty.

Attachments

• horsegear_rosette_US_ironback_ironback_nondug_backview2_Ebay1.jpg
    horsegear_rosette_US_ironback_ironback_nondug_backview2_Ebay1.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 72
Upvote 0
That is great information. Thank you very much.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back