What is it

absosecur

Oct 26, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Found this out digging today. I have no idea what it is. Please help. Also found this dropped Enfield. Good day.

image-579242347.jpg

image-2782085379.jpg

This Enfield is not like others I have found. The base is conical like common three ring bullets. All other enfields I have found has a 57 or 577 inside the base and some with a wooden plug.

Last edited:
A brass finial off of a lamp, or a bed post, or something of that nature.

Upvote 0
No Enfield minies were manufactured with a tapering tail shape. Therefore, the only possible answer is, something happened to yours after it was cast.

We relic-diggers know that bored soldiers often "fooled around" with lead bullets. Your tapered-base Enfield minie may have been very smoothly whittled-down. Or, it may have been been smoothly "pressed" to contract its base-diameter, for some unknown reason. It could not be fired "correctly" with that tapered-base shape ...so whoever altered its original shape must have had some other purpose in mind. I have to say I'm unable to imagine any "functional" purpose for altering a minie that way. So, I have to think somebody was just goofing around with it.

I agree with Creskol, the other item you asked about is a finial off of a lamp or bedframe or a fireplace-poker, etc.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back