What is it?

garycobb

Tenderfoot
Nov 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Badge2.jpgBadge.jpg

Hello Garycobb, your badge or placard is hand engraved and has tacks or nails attached to the rear. That tells me it was hammered into wood. It could be a house number or a pen number on a farm. Badges meant to be worn on clothing have very different fasteners on the reverse. Beautiful find, congrats. Sub

Upvote 0
There has been considerable debate on Treasurenet about these items. It is generally called a "harness boss". I think most agree that it was used on leather horse equipment.

Do a Google image search on 'brass harness boss" and you will see similar examples.

DCMatt

Upvote 0
Hello Garycobb, your badge or placard is hand engraved and has tacks or nails attached to the rear. That tells me it was hammered into wood. It could be a house number or a pen number on a farm. Badges meant to be worn on clothing have very different fasteners on the reverse. Beautiful find, congrats. Sub

I agree that it was used on wood like sub said. The top nail is what held it in place while the bottom nub kept it from rotating.

Upvote 0
Thanks, It is an interesting piece...I found it close to the river and a steamboat landing.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back