✅ SOLVED What is it ???

DIGGING1971GUY

May 20, 2011
Dug this item today ,it had a piece of glass on the backside ,on the top there are threads going inside
Around the edges it says patented sept 13 1882 and dec 4 1883 Thanks for looking !!
Any guesses ? :dontknow:

001-400.jpg002-400.jpg

Screw in eyepiece to opera glasses or a kaliedieoscope or telescope or stereoscope or camera?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
From your description, particularly about "threads inside" and having glass "in the back," it appears to be the brass wick-assembly holder from a glass-based oil/kerosene lamp. The wick-assembly screwed into the threads inside the ring, which was crimped onto the top of the lamp's glass base.

I own a glass-based oil/kerosene lamp which has this same wick-assembly holder (except without the Patent-marking). Unfortunately I do not have a "working" digital camera at the moment, so I can't take a photo of my lamp base for you. Perhaps somebody else here has such a photo.

Upvote 0
Does it say 92 or 1892? If you tell us EXACTLY what it says we can easier search for it.

Upvote 0
From your description, particularly about "threads inside" and having glass "in the back," it appears to be the brass wick-assembly holder from a glass-based oil/kerosene lamp. The wick-assembly screwed into the threads inside the ring, which was crimped onto the top of the lamp's glass base.

I own a glass-based oil/kerosene lamp which has this same wick-assembly holder (except without the Patent-marking). Unfortunately I do not have a "working" digital camera at the moment, so I can't take a photo of my lamp base for you. Perhaps somebody else here has such a photo.

Hi and thanks for the reply ,I think you may be right on :thumbsup:

Upvote 0
It just amazes me the knowledge and constant ability to id some of the stuff that comes up here .
Hats off to all of you amazing work ,please don't ever stop !!! LOL

Upvote 0
Good job. Ill look for the patents when I get home tonight if I get time.

Upvote 0
CIRCLE OF BRASS

Dug this item today ,it had a piece of glass on the backside ,on the top there are threads going inside
Around the edges it says patented sept 13 1882 and dec 4 1883 Thanks for looking !!
Any guesses ? :dontknow:

View attachment 625925View attachment 625926

It is a No.1 CLINCH-ON collar for a glass oil lamp made by Riverside Glass Works. A notch was cast on the top of the opening to the lamp and the brass collar was crimped into the notch to prevent turning when the burner was screwed on or off.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back