What is it? Some kind of marine (aquatic)

Jduckett85

Tenderfoot
Dec 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• image-2111789895.jpg
    image-2111789895.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 110
  • image-2633029716.jpg
    image-2633029716.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 111
Looks like a pair of sickle mower teeth.

Exactly, off the sickle bar of a mowing machine.
This is an 1870's era horse drawn mowing machine. Sickle bar mowers are still in use, but have been mostly replaced by spinning blades to cut the grass or hay.
mowing machine.jpg
this shows a close up of the teeth on the bar, but there are no knife sections. The cutters traveled back and forth, and at least in my experience, every time I hit a mouse nest the thing plugged up, requiring dismounting from the tractor and starting over.
mowing machine1.jpg And if you didn't raise the bar when you hit the corner, the cut grass would plug it up. With the rotary cutters now, hay is mowed at a much faster speed, just so you don't get bounced off the tractor seat.

First... welcome to TreasureNet.

Lafitte Deux is correct. A more-detailed answer for you: The object is a pair of teeth from a sickle-bar mower, which is not a lawnmower but instead is a type of mechanical farming equipment used for mowing hay and other "tall-stalk" plants. Here are some photos showing what your find looked like on the sickle-bar mower.

In the future... whenever you find an object you can't identify, the very best place on the internet to post it for getting it identified is TreasureNet's "What-Is-It" forum -- which is located in the "Our Discoveries" section. Take a look at the What-Is-It forum and you'll see what I mean.

After-posting edit: I see BosnMate and I were typing at the same time. He is a faster typist than I am. :)

Attachments

• farm-equipment_sickle-bar-mower_horse-drawn_31kb_TN_postedbyBosnMate.jpg
    farm-equipment_sickle-bar-mower_horse-drawn_31kb_TN_postedbyBosnMate.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 302
  • farm-equipment_sickle-bar-mower-teeth_bar-closeup_TN_postedbyTaz42o.jpg
    farm-equipment_sickle-bar-mower-teeth_bar-closeup_TN_postedbyTaz42o.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 274
Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back