What is IT? I believe it is Colonial

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hunt a spot in Virginia where I regularly find both Colonial and Civil War relics. I found this little insignificant item on the same hill at the top of a ravine, that I found my Enfield bullets and my pre-colonial nipple button. Now I have racked my brain trying to figure out what it is..maybe a broken draw pull?? Maybe ya'll can help me I.D. it. Is it some sort of "wind" part for a watch? Seems to bulky for that. Let me know what ya'll think as I am VERY open to suggestions.

Attachments

• Colonial  Whats It.JPG
    Colonial Whats It.JPG
    31.8 KB · Views: 465
  • Colonial Whats It2.JPG
    Colonial Whats It2.JPG
    33.1 KB · Views: 467
  • Colonial Whats It3.JPG
    Colonial Whats It3.JPG
    41.8 KB · Views: 456
Last edited:
My first thought,
some part of the firing mechanism of a gun
it has the look of a flintlock, or maybe percussion cap, hammer

Cheers, Mike

Upvote 0
trikikiwi said:
My first thought,
some part of the firing mechanism of a gun
it has the look of a flintlock, or maybe percussion cap, hammer

Cheers, Mike

ditto

HH
-GC

Upvote 0
it looks like a handle, or part of one for an old ice chest. You know, the old antique ones that would sit in the kitchen ans was made of wood.

Just my guess......

Upvote 0
Well it is too thin and small to be a firing hammer......I think that the end fit into something. I have a few firing hammers that I have found but this is made out of brass....Aero Mike. Can you conjure up a pic of what you are describing? Thanks for ya'll input.

Upvote 0
AeroMike said:
it looks like a handle, or part of one for an old ice chest. You know, the old antique ones that would sit in the kitchen ans was made of wood.

Just my guess......

Yeah, looks like a drawer handle to me

Upvote 0
CRUSADER said:
AeroMike said:

Just my guess......

thats what i was thinking.

Upvote 0
CRUSADER said:
AeroMike said:

Just my guess......

Yup I was thimking that as well maybe an old drawer or cabinet handle :)

Upvote 0
Well keep in mind that it is not broken....this is one whole piece. I thought about it being a drawer handle but it really doesnt make since...especially since it was found way out in the woods in civil war trenches. Really this doesnt make much sense either, but I was thinking maybe the "leg" to something small. The end is a square peg.

Upvote 0
I just thought of this but it could be an old handle off of say a mug for drinking coffee does look like one end used to fit in something. just a thought ;)

Upvote 0
Maybe went on the side of a wagon. Hook downwards so you could use it as a tie down for rope/string. A bit like boats have?

Upvote 0
Yeah, it definitely is a stumper and it could be ANY of these things you guys have said. One thing is for sure, that squared end definitely "fit" into something. And to me, it seems that if it was a drawer handle, that the end would be round so that it could move. Being that the end is "squared," that is what turns me away from that particular hypothesis. Let me know what ya'll think about that. Do you guys agree that if it were one/half of a drawer handle, that the end would be round so that it would freely move up and down...instead though this piece is square on the end???

Upvote 0
{Sentinel} said:
Yeah, it definitely is a stumper and it could be ANY of these things you guys have said. One thing is for sure, that squared end definitely "fit" into something. And to me, it seems that if it was a drawer handle, that the end would be round so that it could move. Being that the end is "squared," that is what turns me away from that particular hypothesis. Let me know what ya'll think about that. Do you guys agree that if it were one/half of a drawer handle, that the end would be round so that it would freely move up and down...instead though this piece is square on the end???

seems reasonable

Upvote 0
My first thought, seeing the first picture was a door handle. Then I saw the second picture and thought "Wow, that Sentinel has some huge hands!"

Might be a key (winder), possibly to a clock or something of that nature.

I figure it's either something like that or,..........a 1/4" drive breaker bar from a colonial socket set.

Bluezman

Upvote 0
Is the non-squared-off-end broken or intact?

If it is broken, then I have a guess...

Buckleboy

Upvote 0
Hey BB, it looks, LOOKs now but cannot be 100% sure, to be one whole piece-not broken-as it is rounded not jagged on that end. But it could be broken....(off point, but notice how ornate that it is too) Sooooo what were you thinking as it could be anything?

Upvote 0
{Sentinel} said:
Hey BB, it looks, LOOKs now but cannot be 100% sure, to be one whole piece-not broken-as it is rounded not jagged on that end. But it could be broken....(off point, but notice how ornate that it is too) Sooooo what were you thinking as it could be anything?

IF broken, I my first gut reaction to the find was this: Broken piece of a crank from a coffee grinder.

If this is a camp you're working, and not a battle or skirmish site, this might make sense.

Regards,

Buckleboy

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back