✅ SOLVED What is it, for some fun.

Kevo_DFX

Sep 5, 2008
Greensburg, PA
Detector(s) used
DFX
Hi all,

Before you read the below explanation, just know that I am describing second hand knowledge of an item and will not be able to provide pictures (other than a drawing) until a few days in the future. If this is not the kind of ID you would like to make at the moment, I encourage you to gladly skip this thread. There are times when I hate stuff like this and some times I really enjoy it. This one has enough information where I think an ID is possible and might be fun for those like myself that enjoy the search. Without further ado:

I pick a bit and have a pretty decent knowledge of antiques. Knowing this, a friend came to me and told me about something he found in an old junk pile a couple days ago. He said he thought it was made of cast iron, but as he got closer he decided it was made of steel and about 4 feet tall. He said there was a vice or clamp like attachment on the top of it, which was attached to a a roughly 12" diameter round disc which seemed to be a work surface of some sort, but he couldn't fathom it's purpose. On it were words. He remembers the name "ARMSTRONG" for sure. He remembers this because it is the name of a county in Pennsylvania. He said on the opposite side of the disc, he remembered there was a second name, possibly another Pennsylvania county. In the middle of the disc, there were the words "NO 983 VISSTON" and below that there were other words.

Below this round disc, there were three legs that came down in an inverted pyramid shape. Each leg was about 2 inches in diameter. At the bottom of these legs it seems to attach to a base. Unfortunately, this base is just under the surface of other debris and he was not able to get a look at it's form or function. He knows it was just under the surface, because he could rock the thing a bit back and forth and see it moving under the other stuff. He estimates the base to be 3 feet in length.

At the time he saw this, he did not have a camera handy. He figured the words he remembered would be enough to google and figure it out. He has failed. I have failed. He is only sure about the ARMSTRONG word, but the others are at least close. He made a drawing:

View attachment 1137268

We can not get back to this junk pile for a couple days, but will get pictures at that time if need be. In the meantime, I thought it would be fun to give you all a crack at it. If one of you figure it out, he says he will know it immediately. I will still post pictures even if you do, for confirmation.

Thanks for looking!
Kevo

Attachments

• visston.jpg
    visston.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 267
Last edited:
Hmmmmmm probably going to need the pics, thinking tire related, Armstrong tires:icon_scratch:

Upvote 0
I enjoy a good mystery, so I'll chuck in my immediate thoughts and look forward to watching the thread progress.

First thought is a Drill Press.

There is/was an Armstrong Tool Company.
Alternatively, could the other word be Disston rather than Visston? Disston also being a tool manufacturer.

Upvote 0
I enjoy a good mystery, so I'll chuck in my immediate thoughts and look forward to watching the thread progress.

First thought is a Drill Press.

There is/was an Armstrong Tool Company.
Alternatively, could the other word be Disston rather than Visston? Disston also being a tool manufacturer.

I'll hang in your crowd. 4 foot high is too tall for a workbench. Stove, washer, dryer and such are no taller than 36". My drafting table is 30" and my workbench is 34" on casters.
If it were some type work bench or tool, it was probably made to sit immobile, perhaps set in concrete, and from the picture might be an old satellite platform or short wave antenna base.

Based on the description, I'd be inclined to say it sounds like a base for something.

Upvote 0
His impression of the item was:

1. Permanently mounted, but moveable.
2. Used to perform some specic task on some specific thing.
3. Earlier than satellite dishes, later than horses. He thinks 40's-60's.

Also:
Heavy duty. Closer to machine shop than home hobbyist.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
His impression of the item was:

1. Permanently mounted, but moveable.
2. Used to perform some specic task on some specific thing.
3. Earlier than satellite dishes, later than horses. He thinks 40's-60's.

Also:
Heavy duty. Closer to machine shop than home hobbyist.

That's enough for me. First post we got questionable dimensions, missing words, and no pictures.
This post you add to the description which means we don't have a complete description upon which to make any worthwhiles. .

This is why the "Guess What I Found" games aren't fun. When you withhold information, such as a date, and that it is closer to a machine shop than a home hobbyist, and a specific tool used for a specific task, the only person having fun is you.

If you're going to play this type game, at least use a common item that the greater majority of us have seen. Not only does it make it more fun for everybody, you'll get more replies.

Upvote 0
That's enough for me. First post we got questionable dimensions, missing words, and no pictures.
This post you add to the description which means we don't have a complete description upon which to make any worthwhiles. .

This is why the "Guess What I Found" games aren't fun. When you withhold information, such as a date, and that it is closer to a machine shop than a home hobbyist, and a specific tool used for a specific task, the only person having fun is you.

If you're going to play this type game, at least use a common item that the greater majority of us have seen. Not only does it make it more fun for everybody, you'll get more replies.

easier to not reply...easier to move on...easier to drink beer...:occasion14:

Upvote 0

Gary, I apologize for "withholding information" as you call it. We were actually sitting on the couch discussing the item and I learned those extra details, which I posted as soon as I learned of them.

I am not playing a game. Curiosity was bugging the heck out of me and I though I'd share with what I feel are some of the best mind for identification on the internet. What purpose would it be if I were to do it for a common item? "He found this brass disc about 3 inches wide, the back is filled with lead and it has a loop for a strap." Well, most of us know that's probably a bridle rosette. This was a little more out there, and below your post I got some great suggestions I am following up on.

Thank you to the folks who provided some great suggestions, I think pipe threader is a pretty great guess.

Upvote 0
No apologies necessary. Its all good. Your buddy is not an artist. I wouldn't trust him to describe any snakes he might want me to pick up. Interesting he draws the tristand folded and says it is connected to a 3 foot base.

Upvote 0
No apologies necessary. Its all good. Your buddy is not an artist. I wouldn't trust him to describe any snakes he might want me to pick up. Interesting he draws the tristand folded and says it is connected to a 3 foot base.

We will certainly find out when I get the pictures!

Upvote 0
Pics below. He got the wording way wrong (except ARMSTRONG), but I think his drawing was pretty accurate.

I think it is more in the 1900 time frame, great ID trdking!

image2.jpegimage3.jpegimage4.jpeg

Upvote 0
Makes sense......Vistand= vice stand

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back