✅ SOLVED What is all this?

dweaver

Apr 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm completely new to all of this, and all of these were given to me. I have no clue on the material, but any clues will help. Sorry about the image quality too, I couldn't find my camera, so I used my iPod :S. ANY help will do, I've done about an hour of research, and nothing has really helped. Thanks in advance. Another note, there are no inscriptions or markings on any of these.

IMG_0187.JPG

Front:
IMG_0188.JPG

Back:
IMG_0189.JPG

Front:
IMG_0190.JPG

Back:
IMG_0191.JPG

IMG_0192.JPG
IMG_0193.JPG

Need to see the back of the first item.

The 2nd and 3rd items are definitely civilian-use (not military) horse-bridle rosettes. Your two brass-front rosettes are typically called "lead-filled back" rosettes, even though the filler-metal in the back is actually solder, not lead. The front is a thin piece of stamped sheet-brass, with a brass bar embedded in the solder-filled back. That type of bridle rosette can date anywhere from the late 1700s to the late 1800s.

The 4th item is a excavated fragment of an exploded cannonball made of cast-iron. Based on size comparison with what looks like a US penny, it is from a 12-pounder caliber cannonball, whose diameter was about 4.52-inches. If it was excavated in America, it is most probably from a Civil War era cannonball, although such fragments can date anywhere from the Colonial Era into the 1870s.

Upvote 0
The back of whatever the first item is was pretty much the same as the front. I don't really expect anybody to be able to identify it but here is a picture of it:

View attachment 622145

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back