What else is in the pan?

falcolnx

Dec 22, 2008
Kansas City
Detector(s) used
Ace 150 currently
Upvote 0
Hi Falcolnx
Platinum and silver. In some places gem stones such as saphires and such. You need to learn what each looks like in the raw state. Most places show only cut gems. Gold n' Gem Grubbin is a pretty good place to start. You can buy bags of dirt pretty reasonable to get raw gems. Some of their bags will come with a raw stone chart. My wife tried some and was very satisfied. Hope this helps.

B H Prospector

falcolnx said:
thanks a bunch. I figure gold cant be the only thing in the river
Thanks Falcolnx :thumbsup: I often wondered that my self. Just started myself.
drewan

Theres plenty of valuable things to be looking for besides gold. A prospector should always be on the lookout for ore of any kind. Ore is some kind of rock/mineral that can be worked for a profit. Unusual or heavy concentrations of many kinds of metals (precious especially)/gems/rare earths can be profitable at today's inflated prices. Like was said keep an eye out for silver (maybe be oxidized black) or Platinum (mixes with iron sometimes as ferroplatinum), copper, chromium, and especially the sulfides (pyrite, chalcopyrite, sphalerite, pyrrhotite, etc) which might contain gold values encapsulated within. And of course the gemstones. And lets not forget that specimen stones of many minerals command high prices as well, especially if they are rare or or in great condition.

is there a good place to find picture examples to compare to what I find? If I dont educate myself I will be filling our basement with rocks

Falcolnx,
Boarders book store has sever good books on rocks, minerals and gems. Alot of the books will show the raw state of them before proccessing.
Good luck
B H Prospector

dont forget to take a blue light or uv black light there are a lot of gems that will light up under the uv light do this at night good luck

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back