What do you take with you when you go out detecting?

cdsieg

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2011
WI
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am just curious, I carry so much stuff, it isn't funny, I know some people take a little garden tool to dig, I like a little shovel, a little more to carry but a heck of a lot easier to dig with. I tried the folding shovels but I like something I can step on. I take my pin pointer, knife, pruner, magnet, little bottle with water for smaller finds, finds bag, extra batteries, dog water, baggie for dog water, snack, water for humans, gloves, OH YEAH, a detector! LOL

I look utterly ridiculous but I don't know what to leave at home! (Dog and water not an option, I don't have a gun and I think it is good to keep your security well hydrated! LOL:laughing7:

A few things you reminded me of. Camera, T. Paper, hat, sunglasses, and bug dope before I leave the house! I gave up on head phones, they drive me nuts, I know this is against most peoples beliefs, but I'm okay with it!

Last edited:
i take my detector, hunting knife, digging tool, water, snacks, and my finds bag and sometimes a shovel just depends on where in digging

I am just curious, I carry so much stuff, it isn't funny, I know some people take a little garden tool to dig, I like a little shovel, a little more to carry but a heck of a lot easier to dig with. I tried the folding shovels but I like something I can step on. I take my pin pointer, knife, pruner, magnet, little bottle with water for smaller finds, finds bag, extra batteries, dog water, baggie for dog water, snack, water for humans, gloves, OH YEAH, a detector! LOL

I look utterly ridiculous but I don't know what to leave at home! (Dog and water not an option, I don't have a gun and I think it is good to keep your security well hydrated! LOL:laughing7:

I throw my tuperware tub in the back of my truck with digging tools, aprons, extra batteries, coffee can, beach sifter...Long handled digging tool for beach and my Excal..II...A ton more stuff if I decide to go underwater with it (and my wife)...and I never leave without my LCP. .380 Caliber automatic....

Last edited:
I go pretty light, so it's just my digging tool in one hand, detector in the other hand and my finds pouch around my waist.

I have used those hand garden shovels and broke like 3 of them. I use a little E tool (military shovel) now, a long hunting knife, pocket knife, pistol, back pack with water and some food, and some plastic bags and a magnet. Also loved to bring the dog.

Less is better. Bug spray when needed. Dress for the cold!. Make sure you have an excellent set of quality headphones too. Hand held pp and whiskey flask are, of course, optional. Don't forget the trash pouch. Or digger. Phone is good too, so you can take pics of finds in situ and gloat it up a bit on Tnet. I bring along a good wad of tp if I am hitting the back forty.

i take my detector, hunting knife, digging tool, water, snacks, and my finds bag and sometimes a shovel just depends on where in digging
:icon_thumleft:

I throw my tuperware tub in the back of my truck with digging tools, aprons, extra batteries, coffee can, beach sifter...Long handled digging tool for beach and my Excal..II...A ton more stuff if I decide to go underwater with it (and my wife)...and I never leave without my LCP. .30 Caliber automatic....
:thumbsup:

I go pretty light, so it's just my digging tool in one hand, detector in the other hand and my finds pouch around my waist.

:icon_scratch: why can't I do it that way! LOL

It really depends on where I am detecting. Here in the desert I have my detector, Gator digger, Garrett Propointer, belt pouch, water and Gatorade and a possible snack. I wear a big boonie hat to help with the sun and carry a towel to wipe the sweat off now and again. I always have a knife. Sometimes I have a pocket camera handy. If I am feeling lucky I bring a large wheelbarrow for all the treasure I will find!

I have used those hand garden shovels and broke like 3 of them. I use a little E tool (military shovel) now, a long hunting knife, pocket knife, pistol, back pack with water and some food, and some plastic bags and a magnet. Also loved to bring the dog.

:thumbsup:

Last edited:
It really depends on where I am detecting. Here in the desert I have my detector, Gator digger, Garrett Propointer, belt pouch, water and Gatorade and a possible snack. I wear a big boonie hat to help with the sun and carry a towel to wipe the sweat off now and again. I always have a knife. Sometimes I have a pocket camera handy. If I am feeling lucky I bring a large wheelbarrow for all the treasure I will find!

:icon_thumright:

Less is better. Bug spray when needed. Dress for the cold!. Make sure you have an excellent set of quality headphones too. Hand held pp and whiskey flask are, of course, optional. Don't forget the trash pouch. Or digger. Phone is good too, so you can take pics of finds in situ and gloat it up a bit on Tnet. I bring along a good wad of tp if I am hitting the back forty.

:icon_thumright:

Good warm or cool clothing depending on season, my fisher 1266x and military shovel or big shovel depending on what i plan on digging out, instead of water in my canteen i have lemonade watered down and then a sandwich i keep in my waist bag. BUT I always carry a compass and I didn't see anyone else mentioning!!!

I take the basics, detector, digging tool, pouch and a long thin screwdriver (helps me locate items quicker).

Good warm or cool clothing depending on season, my fisher 1266x and military shovel or big shovel depending on what i plan on digging out, instead of water in my canteen i have lemonade watered down and then a sandwich i keep in my waist bag. BUT I always carry a compass and I didn't see anyone else mentioning!!!

I would get even more lost with a compass! I have never figure the dang things out, and have never taken the time to learn. I do bring marker flags like the phone and gas company uses, I mark my way, I have been lost in the woods before, not so much fun when it is getting dark and the coyotees are howling!

I take the basics, detector, digging tool, pouch and a long thin screwdriver (helps me locate items quicker).

good idea for probing!

I guess that the most important thing that I take is faith, faith that I am going to find something worth the effort and unexpected.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back