What could this be?

picnic42

Feb 6, 2010
Frankfort, Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT and Whites V3
Peggyg827... was at it again today... I did the arrowhead stuff and she did the metal detecting!
She found this at the original house of the old farm we have been hunting on. the house dates back at least 150 years plus.
This farm is also the area we are finding some civil war relics and the possible cannon ball found a week ago or so.
This farm is turning out to be quite interesting...
Well, take a look at the pics and let me know what it might possibly be.
It is quite heavy for it's size as you see about the size of a quarter... the post or shaft going thru it is soldered in the back... it is a bit longer than the depth of the cone, and it seems to have been broken at the end. It registered in the low 90's on the VDI scale.
My first thought is a possible cleat or stud for a garden tractor????? (circa 1800's)
If I was thinking militarily.... I might think it could be the tip of a projectile?????
Well let me know what you all think...
Ralph & Peggy

Attachments

• DSC08161.JPG
    DSC08161.JPG
    64.6 KB · Views: 382
  • DSC08162.JPG
    DSC08162.JPG
    85.6 KB · Views: 404
  • DSC08163.JPG
    DSC08163.JPG
    78 KB · Views: 403
  • DSC08164.JPG
    DSC08164.JPG
    42.2 KB · Views: 403
traderoftreasures said:
maybe the bottom to a spinning top. weighted for fun...just a wild guess

WOW!
Very creative guess...
I was thinking of some type of finial...

Scott

Upvote 0
bradsguns said:
Due to the angle of cut, it looks like an adjustable foot from a tripod.
Brad
Interesting! I can see that! Maybe from a surveyors tripod or something like that! Got the wheels rolling in my head!

Upvote 0
If the stud in the back is iron or shows rust, it is probably furniture hardware. All brass is probably horse.

Daryl

Upvote 0
BioProfessor said:
If the stud in the back is iron or shows rust, it is probably furniture hardware. All brass is probably horse.

Daryl
It tends to have a sheen of green on it after cleaning with a brush and water.... no rust in any area!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back