What could this be? Looks like a mini canteen. Middle Eastern?

CrownVic26

Aug 19, 2013
Mounds View, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-pro,BH Legacy 3500 W/ Garrett Pin Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What could this be? Looks like a mini canteen. [SOLVED]

Hi everyone thanks for the read. I found this item today while hunting nicollet island in Minneapolis, MN It almost looks like a little canteen with the top that snaps and locks in. It is really heavy for its size at 14.2 grams. I'm wondering if anyone knows what this is? also how old it is and if any value besides historical? really curious what this was used for! any information helps thank you!

Attachments

• thing11.jpg
    thing11.jpg
    605 KB · Views: 165
  • thing22.jpg
    thing22.jpg
    648.3 KB · Views: 173
  • thing.jpg
    thing.jpg
    651.5 KB · Views: 160
  • thing2.jpg
    thing2.jpg
    710.5 KB · Views: 148
Last edited:
It's a perfume container. The 'stick' at the top was for dabbing out the perfume.
Great find!
:)
Breezie

Upvote 0
I was thinking it was a snuff bottle versus a perfume because it is all brass. What does the end of the dauber look like? Is it flat?

Upvote 0
Breezie is dead on. Here is a similar one which is listed as a perfume bottle.perfume1.jpg

Upvote 0
It's def a perfume container! I found one of these about 4 years ago that was a bit smaller

Upvote 0
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Upvote 0
Thanks to you all!! very neat piece forsure! would never have guessed it was for perfume! Does anybody know how old this perfume container could possibly be from? im very curious as to a possible era?

Upvote 0
Thanks to you all!! very neat piece forsure! would never have guessed it was for perfume! Does anybody know how old this perfume container could possibly be from? im very curious as to a possible era?

I'm thinking like 1920s-1940s.. That is why I was asking earlier, it might date to the turn of the century or even into the 1880s?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I've spoke my peace. Take it as you will.

Diggummup is also correct. Perfume and snuff containers were almost identical. 'Generally' the way to tell the difference between the two has to do with the end of the dabber. If it is flat and splayed, it is for snuff. If it is straight it is for perfume. BUT, both have been interchangeable. CrownVic's dabber looked to be straight, which is why I said perfume, but the photo is blurry, and I really can't tell for sure.

Either way, it's a great find!
Breezie

Upvote 0
Diggummup is also correct. Perfume and snuff containers were almost identical. 'Generally' the way to tell the difference between the two has to do with the end of the dabber. If it is flat and splayed, it is for snuff. If it is straight it is for perfume. BUT, both have been interchangeable. CrownVic's dabber looked to be straight, which is why I said perfume, but the photo is blurry, and I really can't tell for sure.

Either way, it's a great find!
Breezie
Which is why I asked about the end of the dauber in reply number 4 to no avail. I don't understand people that come on here asking for help and then don't answer questions which could help in the correct identification of their item/object. :dontknow:

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back