What could it be, and how do I find out?

ToastedWheatie

Jun 30, 2013
Hudson Valley, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Infinium
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
What could it be (coin?), and how do I find out?

I found this yesterday at a home that dates back into the 1700s. Have pulled items out of there that we believe to be of that era, right on through silver coins of this century.

This thing is rusted over, but I can't get past the thought that there may be some type of coin under there.
Or should i just 'assume' that with the rust there can be no coin( stupid thought?)

How do I safely get through the rust to see what lies beneath?

With the rust the diameter measures 1 1/8" ( 3 cm)
weight is 17.7 grams (.6 oz)

What do I do now? ???

GEDC0052.JPGGEDC0055.JPG

The apparent rust-concretion on the disc indicates it is made of iron... but for confirmation, check it with a magnet. If it is indeed iron, it's not a coin.

Removing the rust from it might reveal some markings or other evidence to help figure out what it is. In addition to Huntsman53's suggestion of Ultrasonic cleaning, there are various chemical products for removing rust. Another option is the Electrolysis process... but you might not want to invest in building an Electrolysis "setup" if your presumably-iron disc is the only iron object you own that needs rust-removal.

Upvote 0
The apparent rust-concretion on the disc indicates it is made of iron... but for confirmation, check it with a magnet. If it is indeed iron, it's not a coin.

Removing the rust from it might reveal some markings or other evidence to help figure out what it is. In addition to Huntsman53's suggestion of Ultrasonic cleaning, there are various chemical products for removing rust. Another option is the Electrolysis process... but you might not want to invest in building an Electrolysis "setup" if your presumably-iron disc is the only iron object you own that needs rust-removal.

Thanks to the two of you for the info. Yes, it does have iron properties (with magnet), but I have read about coins being encapusated with rust, so I wasn't sure if some were made with some kind of iron alloy type stuff.

I've seen some easy electrolysis setups, so i think I'll play with that.
Ruling out the fact that it's a coin makes it easier. I'll use the 'regualr' rust removal processes.

Thanks for the info! And when it's clean, I'll repost.

Upvote 0
The quickest way would be use an electric brass cartridge case tumbler, which cleans fired brass hulls. It will certainly take the rust off! Good Luck!!

Upvote 0
I have seen rust concentration like this on silver coins, so be care full how you clean this find.

SS

Upvote 0
I have seen rust concentration like this on silver coins, so be care full how you clean this find.

SS
Stupid question:
I understand how some non ferrous items can become encapsulated, but

if silver layed underneath, would the rust make it have a pull to a magnet?

Upvote 0
Sure if it's iron rust concentration...not saying it is silver...but you never know.

SS

Upvote 0
Sure if it's iron rust concentration...not saying it is silver...but you never know.

SS

That's the hobby we're in, isn't? "...you never know" keeps you doing things like this.

Three 15 min. electrolysis baths, with solution changes in between, did little. I don't have access to tumblers, and with no clue that something is actually under there, I'm not seeking one out.
Time to soak in some Nut Buster.
If that doesn't work? Nick the edge.....

Upvote 0
Evaporust is pretty good on cleaning up iron also.

Upvote 0
An ultrasonic Jewelry Cleaner might remove much of the rust and bring to light what is hidden within!

Frank

Really? I have a nice one but never thought of using it to clean rust off an object, that looks like a pretty good coat.. What type of solution would you even use in it?

Upvote 0
Really? I have a nice one but never thought of using it to clean rust off an object, that looks like a pretty good coat.. What type of solution would you even use in it?

Just plain old water! However, I have heard of folks adding chemicals to the water but I do not know what they use.

Frank

Upvote 0
That's the hobby we're in, isn't? "...you never know" keeps you doing things like this.

Three 15 min. electrolysis baths, with solution changes in between, did little. I don't have access to tumblers, and with no clue that something is actually under there, I'm not seeking one out.

You might be surprised of what a simple drop on a countertop or a few simple taps with the plastic, handle end of a screwdriver will do in removing heavily deteriorated iron encrustations!

Frank

Upvote 0

Did you get any reaction in the solution when you used electrolysis, some times you can not get the connection, with a heavily encrusted object like this one. There should have been fizzing going on around the find.

SS

Upvote 0
Just plain old water! However, I have heard of folks adding chemicals to the water but I do not know what they use.

Frank

I use ammonia/water mix for cleaning jewelry

Upvote 0
Did you get any reaction in the solution when you used electrolysis, some times you can not get the connection, with a heavily encrusted object like this one. There should have been fizzing going on around the find.

SS
Lots of fizz from the round thing, and black nasty water. Just no rust popped off. Maybe thats a clue that it's likely iron.

Huntsman: Whacked/tapped with hard plastic. Tiny pieces come off. Still not near surface.

Gonna soak it, then whack it, then nick it.
At that point i don't know if I'll hope it's "something", or hope it's nothing because I'm going to mark it!lol

Upvote 0
Knock out from an electrical box. I made the choice because of the small flat spot on the edge.

Upvote 0
Soaking didn't loosen anything.
Chipped it, exposing the edge. Siver colored. Acid tested as not silver.
I'm going to say Scar nailed it, and it's an electrical box knockout. Nice job.:notworthy:

But I just can't throw it in the scrap pile until I was sure.....

thanks for the help!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back