What are they?

mmc

Apr 9, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
20160207_130159.jpg20160207_130215.jpg

Trying to figure out what these are. I don't have a lot of information but here is what I have...

These were given to a coworker by his grandfather, grandfather is deceased so we can't ask him any more questions.

They were supposedly from one of T. Roosevelt's African safaris. You can see they were dated 1912 then the tag was revised to read 1909?

They are made of metal. They are approx. 12-18 inches long. I know that's not exactly a definitive number but I've never laid hands on them. If need be, I'm sure I can get a better measurement.

I have my guess/theory but I would rather hear what you all have to say so not to influence your opinions.

I have no idea. All I can say is they look like some kind of skewer to me

Upvote 0
Its gonna be hard to answer questions because they belong to a co worker but I have a question. Who put those tags on and when? They look kinda modern.

Welcome to TN. I see this is your very first post. I hope someone can I'd them for you. You may have to bump it up on occasion.

Upvote 0
My father and grandfather had the same security tags; they where very big in to hunting African game, and they always kept their tags from each trip.

Best off contacting Krüger National Park or South African Game Ranger; if you hit a dead end on your trace with that then reach out to the South African Wildlife College. All these parks and ranges back in the day had all sorts of figures that hunted there, they kept those guest registers just as the hunters kept their tags.

It could be anything from a game tag to a steamer security tag, weapons case tag; but when you track it down just request a copy of the page where the guest signed in and have it sent to the US Embassy to authenticate it is a copy out of the original book. Then you have your proof.

Upvote 0
If those tags are security tags from the trip that would be great. I suppose they were using these paper tags by 1909/12. Also google to see if he made a trip to Africa in 1912. I know he did in 1909.

Upvote 0
If those tags are security tags from the trip that would be great. I suppose they were using these paper tags by 1909/12. Also google to see if he made a trip to Africa in 1912. I know he did in 1909.

Well that trip could have been Off Book too, just a fast stop in. This was very common all the way up to around the 70's with heads of State. But, the Africans knew it would attract bigger bucks if they could show certain folks had used their services.

Really just a few emails and someone could find out. The crazy thing is that if the owner did find the place and asked for a copy of that page out of the book that was signed, the Africans are not dumb and would know it was for reasons of value no matter what you tell them. Chances are they already have a collector them selves ready to make the purchase from the tag owner.

Things rarely ever work out as planned in Africa and often get the flipped around the other way, lots of big money folks down there.

Upvote 0
He was president from 1901-1909. Someone may have tried to change the date. Does it look like different ink? I cant tell on my cel

Edit: yes it does look like different ink. Different handwriting too on the 9. My guess someone at a later date thought it would be more valuable to change it to 09. Need to search 1912 for that African safari. Unless the numbers mean something else or were put there at a later date.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
ATTENTION: This is a test of the Emergency Wilda$$ Guess System. This is only a guess.

Can't help but wonder if it's a sort of probe, like something used after a kill to track the path of the shot. Could leave multiples in place (if multiple shots) and take pics with a camera...for "posterity" reasons, of course!

Upvote 0
Those type of tags were used for everything. I had a box of them an old jeweler/antique dealer gave me. I've also seen them in old antique stores. They were used to label stuff for sale or on display. Some had a string or small metal wire even, that went through the hole. Not to throw that into the mix too, but they had a lot of purposes and anyone could have made them. :dontknow:

Here's a modern version, a little different, same idea. Not sure when they started making them.
https://www.etsy.com/listing/80284015/white-metal-rim-tags

The metal things? Have no clue! Remind me of darts.:laughing7: Unless, those are what you guys are saying are some type of tag?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm gonna go and guess they were a form of African currency. Look It up could be?

Upvote 0
Thanks for all the replies. The coworker just left for a trade show in Asia, I'll show him this thread when he gets back.

Interesting thoughts on the metal ringed paper tags, I just assumed coworkers Grandfather put them on to catalog....I'll ask.

Upvote 0
It's hilarious that so much attention has been given to the tags rather than the objects in question. :laughing9:

Upvote 0
Food for thought...Might be attributed to Teddy III, the eldest son of the President...(same name could cause confusion)

He was a part of President Theodore Roosevelt’s Smithsonian-sponsored expedition to Africa in 1909.

I believe that he extended his stay incountry and didn't return with the grand touring group.

Upvote 0
Hi - my thought is a pair of spindles for hand spinning fiber. If you google spinning spindles, you can see many cultures world wide developed this basic tool design, though I didn't find this type in my brief search.

Upvote 0
can you get a pic of what the ends on the right look like
looks like a skewer type thing, but the end that is not shown
could be threaded or something other than pointy like a
skewer thing

attachment.php

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back