Attachments

• MD STUFF 2 011.jpg
    MD STUFF 2 011.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 345
  • MD STUFF 2 011.jpg
    MD STUFF 2 011.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 355
Re: what are these "spoon handle thingies?"

Not sure,but you are in a dang good site!!!

Upvote 0

JT said:
They both look like a corner is broken off. Assuming they pivot where the holes are, i'd venture a guess they're keyhole covers for locks.

I think if it had a hole, in the part that's broken off, it wouldn't be able to pivot. Most keyhole covers either had one pivot hole (which would be at the top of this piece) or a key shaped hole if it was fixed to the trunk. My guess is it's hardware from a trunk; maybe what is known as a "clamp", similar to this :

http://www.antique-hardware.com/Trunk Parts - New/Slats and Clamps.htm (see T-143)

Attachments

• Trunk hardware (clamp).jpg
    Trunk hardware (clamp).jpg
    9 KB · Views: 316
Upvote 0

Well, I can tell they are 18th C, but unsure what furniture they attached to :dontknow:

Not spoon handles.

Upvote 0

Just a guess. but maybe...

buttP.jpg

DCMatt

Upvote 0

DCMatt said:
Just a guess. but maybe...

DCMatt

awsome, the pic on the opposite page is the actual design on my item :notworthy:. how cool, thanks!!!!!

Upvote 0

Great guess Matt!!!! :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

Timekiller said:
It may not even be english.Might be french.And would swing that way more myself if you found it down in alabama.Scroll down through this post of mine you'll see what I mean.
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,301590.msg2177363.html#msg2177363

abucooche from childersburg, AL is the one that found it, so it makes sense that it might be French.

I could only read a partial (in the English trade gun book) from the pic that DCMatt posted. The "opposite page" that abucooche is talking about mentions Fort Federica (Georgia), some place in Texas and another for Montgomery, AL. I'm just not sure which goes to what picture shown.

DCMatt? Can you post a pic of the next page?

Upvote 0

Kenosha Kid said:
Timekiller said:
It may not even be english.Might be french.And would swing that way more myself if you found it down in alabama.Scroll down through this post of mine you'll see what I mean.
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,301590.msg2177363.html#msg2177363

abucooche from childersburg, AL is the one that found it, so it makes sense that it might be French.

I could only read a partial (in the English trade gun book) from the pic that DCMatt posted. The "opposite page" that abucooche is talking about mentions Fort Federica (Georgia), some place in Texas and another for Montgomery, AL. I'm just not sure which goes to what picture shown.

DCMatt? Can you post a pic of the next page?
yes, you are right. i am actually about 40 mins from ft. toulouse near montgomery. interesting to find a pic with the same design. that would be great to see the second page, or even the name of the the book!!

Upvote 0

abucooche said:
yes, you are right. i am actually about 40 mins from ft. toulouse near montgomery. interesting to find a pic with the same design. that would be great to see the second page, or even the name of the the book!!

Or, it could be English. :dontknow: According to this, the English may have copied the French design because "The Indians accepted this style because of their familiarity with the French stock shape and the brass butt plate."

http://www.northstarwest.com/early_english.aspx

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back