WET GOUUND / DRY GROUND

Yes, wet is better.... You get deeper targets, stronger signals on deep targets and a lot easier to dig....

Even at the beach as hard rain is good as it washes the salt out of the wet sand....

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I haven't detected in a few weeks here as the ground is hard as rock. I never seem to find deep targets in dry ground either. Hopefully we get some rain soon.

In dry ground I set my discrimination for clad and silver only...no zinc pennies or below. After a good rain I hunt accepting foil and everything to the right of foil. Hunting in saturated ground for me is as close to beach hunting as it gets here in SW Indiana. You can hunt for gold jewelry and dig all the "nickle\foil\pull tab" signals easy, just like the beach hunters..(well, almost)...Rainy day today...gold in the hole tomorrow! ...Great question Mr. Dusty, and happy hunting!

I think there is a sweet spot in this debate. I find that if the ground is super wet almost soggy then the field is noisier. My preference is just wet enough to dig easily but there is certainly a line. Spring time here is a great time for deeper targets because the snow has had a chance to soak down deep and the periodic rains keep the places I hunt moist. I rarely dig deep targets later in the year. Fall time is another time I focus on getting deep targets.

Summer is a time to change your places and hunt for shallow targets.

Short answer is yes moisture affects the hunt in numerous ways.

Yes, there's advantages to having wet soil.
Dry ground can be difficult to dig being rock hard and the grass can turn yellow if a plug is made but there is one good thing about dry ground.....
Sites that have a large concentration of iron are worth searching in dry conditions. Wet soil causes ferrous to sound better (halo effect) and more goodies could also be masked.
I've reworked sites that I really hammered during the spring in the heat of the summer, and found non-ferrous in between the now shrunken iron signals.
You definitely have to listen carefully as the deep goodies are now fainter or smaller signals.
Summer's a great time to try those low lying areas that are usually too wet in the spring.
I'm still able to dig deep targets in dry soil.
Cheers,
Dave.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back