Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went and checked over a spot again today after finding it was bigger than I knew, just surface hunting for now, felt I was on the verge of a good one but it eluded me. Got some definite brokes, some probably brokes, and a nice variety of flakes and material. Finally was this bit of sandstone probably nothing but worth an ask
IMG_5491.jpeg

A busted tip

IMG_5476.jpeg
IMG_5477.jpeg

The middle of something
IMG_5478.jpeg
IMG_5479.jpeg
A maybe tip, I’d like to see more work on the backside
IMG_5480.jpeg
IMG_5481.jpeg

What may be the edge of a triangle but again I’d like to see more work on one side
IMG_5482.jpeg
IMG_5483.jpeg

The base of a point
IMG_5484.jpeg
IMG_5485.jpeg

Another base with a notch on one side, maybe the other got sharpened away?
IMG_5486.jpeg
IMG_5487.jpeg

The sandstone disc that probably isn’t anything but I thought I’d ask before it goes outside
IMG_5488.jpeg
IMG_5489.jpeg
IMG_5490.jpeg

Upvote 6
Most of the flakes shown are a lot thicker than what I find. Possibly yours are the beginnings from a larger source rock(?). The sandstone doesn’t look like much to me. I’m pretty green at identifying, so can’t really tell yet.
I like the fact that you are out there searching. Best wishes

Sandstone piece might be the tool they used to knap. Try it on a piece of debitage and see if it will remove flakes. I know they used sandstone percussors in OR on obsidian. Not sure how it would do on flint.

Most of the flakes shown are a lot thicker than what I find. Possibly yours are the beginnings from a larger source rock(?). The sandstone doesn’t look like much to me. I’m pretty green at identifying, so can’t really tell yet.
I like the fact that you are out there searching. Best wishes
Some are chunky, I wouldn’t call them cores but they’ve definitely knocked off a few flakes
IMG_5516.jpeg
IMG_5515.jpeg

Most are classic flakes and plenty thin
IMG_5509.jpeg

Here’s a few different materials, the bright light sometimes washes things out but I hope the differences show

IMG_5514.jpeg
IMG_5513.jpeg
IMG_5512.jpeg
IMG_5511.jpeg
IMG_5510.jpeg

Sandstone piece might be the tool they used to knap. Try it on a piece of debitage and see if it will remove flakes. I know they used sandstone percussors in OR on obsidian. Not sure how it would do on flint.
There’s a lot of little blocky bits of sandstone in the soil, this one is a bit unusually shaped but I don’t know if there’s a natural explanation. My mind kinda goes to creek sides game pieces but probably nothing.

I hate finding broken stuff but it’s always better than kicking rocks all day
Definitely better than nothing, I don’t mind the brokes though, they still give me information on sites, materials used, sometimes age, what may have been going on at the site, and there’s always a shot you can find other pieces of the same point. They Also give me hope that there’s some good artifacts hiding in the leaf litter somewhere.

Definitely better than nothing, I don’t mind the brokes though, they still give me information on sites, materials used, sometimes age, what may have been going on at the site, and there’s always a shot you can find other pieces of the same point. They Also give me hope that there’s some good artifacts hiding in the leaf litter somewhere.
That’s my opinion too. You learn a lot from even a little debitage.

Hit the same spot again, again a pocket full of flakes and a pair of brokes, I just know I’m this close to finding the good stuff, made a Franken-point… kinda like that idea as something to do with brokes and flakes
IMG_5541.jpeg
IMG_5542.jpeg
IMG_5543.jpeg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back