Went back to voting location site. Nice Silver.

pointdlr

Sep 30, 2007
Cincinnati, Ohio
Went back to the voting site for an hour tonight. Found 4 wheats(oldest 1924). One of the wheats(1946) was lying on top of the ground on the hillside. The highlight was clearly the 1895S Barber Quarter. When I saw the nice silver color in a large size, I called over my buddy Lostlake and just said "got a nice coin". Made my day. I have not been in this hobby long, but the coin represents my first Barber Quarter and my first pre-1900 silver coin.
Regards,
Jon Dickinson
www.prehistoricartifacts.com

Attachments

• metaldetecting1.12.jpg
    metaldetecting1.12.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 894
  • metaldetectingb1.12.jpg
    metaldetectingb1.12.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 887
Upvote 0
Huge congrats, Jon, at finding your first barber coin. You must have been real excited to see that one come out of the ground.

Great memories for sure!!

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

Super sweet silver. Congrats!

;) RR

Thanks for the comments. Most of these signals are just blind luck. The quarter was found at a fairly shallow depth of about 4". The signal before it was very similar, and a piece of scrap lead. This is a very fun hobby. I come from an indian artifact searching backround, and have found much more success with coin shooting.
Dan,
I simply can't handle going all metal with the detector like you do. I even have a hard time with deep mode in areas with trash. How did you adjust? Does the soil "talk" to you in Cali? What is the exact model of your headphones? I have some crappy ones that say Whites on the side, and they cut in and out.
Regards,
Jon Dickinson

Barber Quarter?? You mean they really exist??

I too have yet to bring one of those babies home, congrats!! I would be dancing all around, people would think I was crazier than I already am!!

What a Killer find, Congratulations Jon! I had to get my detecting in early Saturday morning so I missed your invite. I'll fill you in on what I found. Minelab Rules! :) -Rob

pointdlr said:
Went back to the voting site for an hour tonight. Found 4 wheats(oldest 1924). One of the wheats(1946) was lying on top of the ground on the hillside. The highlight was clearly the 1895S Barber Quarter. When I saw the nice silver color in a large size, I called over my buddy Lostlake and just said "got a nice coin". Made my day. I have not been in this hobby long, but the coin represents my first Barber Quarter and my first pre-1900 silver coin.
Regards,
Jon Dickinson

Not bad at all Jon. I think if I dug one of those up I would definitely have the bug.
Chuck

pointdlr said:
Regards,
Jon Dickinson

whew - that old silver always gets me going - wanna grab my detector and head right out

thanks for posting it
congrats

vp
Bone Dry Detecting

Very Nice Finds. Hope to see more of your finds. HH

Congrat's Jon That is a great looking Barber, I wish mine looked that good.

Oh well maybe my next one will

HH
Dan

Attachments

• PICT2044a.JPG
    PICT2044a.JPG
    77.9 KB · Views: 330
Well done for breaking into the 1800s with a great coin.

Always good to have a target to beat, now you can aim for the 1700s 8)

Dan,

Looks like a great coin to me. Congrats. I don't expect too find a whole bag of them, but I wouldn't mind finding another.....

Montcopatim,
Thanks for the comments on the website. I really enjoy keeping up with it. I might add a metal detecting area to it.

Crusader,
I wouldn't worry about the comment towards lostlake. I was with him when he found the coin and the hole sure looked like a foot deep to me. I later found a mercury dime in the 9" range, and it was 44 years newer than the nickel. I am 99.9% sure of my depth, b/c I cut below the coin and found it in the side of hole. It was easy to measure from the exact location of the coin. The area where we are looking is in the floodplain of a decent sized creek. The soil is very silty and soft. Almost sand like. Neither of us know too much about the internal workings of these machines, but this soil sure seems like the kind to allow for deep discoveries. It also makes sense that the coins are unusually deep. I dug a zinc penny at exactly 6" based on my lesche tool. Keep up the good work, I really enjoy your posts.
Regards,
Jon Dickinson.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back