Went back to the Flat button site. Old thimble and possible military button HELP

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello Everyone....
Finally the rain has subsided and I was able to go back to the place where I found my Excelsior Flat button.
I decided to lower my discrim, jack up my sensitivity a lil, and dig more low conductor targs.
I ended up with a 44D Silver nickel
A 1917 D wheat
A small plated/coated bird pendant Found very close to the 1917 wheatie. Pendant was deep and crusty. NEAT.
A square nail.
My first ever thimble that was deep, highly corroded, and appears old. I can barely read what the thimble says. Need help on ID and cleaning method. Looks like there is a small gazelle or maybe a cat, and some lettering. Looks like first two letters look like LO then the last part looks like FIDELE. I cant make out all of the letters.
Also a rounded MILITARY button-Maybe? I wiped it with a wet Q-tip some, but im scared to attempt to clean it anymore. It kind of looks like an old eagle button or Infantry button. I cant make out much, might be worn slick, might have something under the crud and patina. It looks it used to have a back, but the back may have corroded away. PLEASE HELP ID and PRESERVATION.
I put the excelsior NY Militia button in the first photo for scale purposes. I did find the Excelsior about 25' away from where I found the thimble and rounded button today.
Seems like im just finding the good stuff deep. The deeper I go, the better the finds.. I think I need a deeper rig for this area.
Any help on id and preservation techiniques is much appreciated.
Thanks all.

Attachments

• DSC02629.JPG
    DSC02629.JPG
    360 KB · Views: 154
  • DSC02630.JPG
    DSC02630.JPG
    346.7 KB · Views: 134
  • DSC02631.JPG
    DSC02631.JPG
    305.1 KB · Views: 145
  • DSC02632.JPG
    DSC02632.JPG
    340.3 KB · Views: 129
  • DSC02633.JPG
    DSC02633.JPG
    340.6 KB · Views: 130
If it is in fact the top of a 2 piece eagle button you will definitely want to treat it delicately. I would recommend placing it in mineral oil and forgeting about it for a month. After it has soaked for a while, use a tooth pick to gently remove the crust. If it feels solid, get a wooden skewer and rub it against the top using light pressure towards the edge as if you are making an etching. Every button requires a different approach depending on the material, gilding, etc. Hope this helps

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Would be interested in seeing that bird pin cleaned up. It has a tiny gold color showing on the back. It's definitely old with that "C" clasp. Great finds!

Upvote 0
I would recommend placing it in mineral oil and forgeting about it for a month. After it has soaked for a while, use a tooth pick to gently remove the crust. \
Thanks Vmair. Looks like shes gona be a soaker. Maybe soak the thimble and pendant too?

Would be interested in seeing that bird pin cleaned up. It has a tiny gold color showing on the back. It's definitely old with that "C" clasp. Great finds!
Didn't know what the design was when I first pulled it from the earth. Had to take take a toothpick and clean it a bit, then rotate it 360 a few times before I realized it was a bird. Might end up soaking it in mineral oil for a month. Im afraid its plated, and I don't want to scrape too hard.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Not sure how to clean that one.

The thimble is probably late 1800s

Upvote 0
Does anyone else see what im seeing? Not sure if my eyes are playin tricks on me or not...
Less than 48 hrs into a olive oil soak, and it appears details may beginning to emerge.
Im starting to see some gold gilding, an offset gold star, and some letters in the center on top of the star
Maybe 2 sets of letters. Looks like there is a Larger L in the center of the bottom word.
See photos Thanks
I know im supposed to put away and let soak for a month. but the suspense is killing me.
Went back to the site yesterday and brought Diggindeeper. I didn't find much except for a small buckle (see photos in oil), but he found an 1891 V Nickel with his V3i, that I missed.
Im really impressed with the olive oil, I could see nothing 2 days ago..

Attachments

• DSC02636.JPG
    DSC02636.JPG
    177.4 KB · Views: 114
  • DSC02637.JPG
    DSC02637.JPG
    176.2 KB · Views: 124
  • DSC02636a.jpg
    DSC02636a.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 111
Upvote 0
the bird pin looks like a c. 1920s piece. it would have originally been gold plated probably brass or copper. many of these pins were enameled, too. do i see some enamel remnants there in its wings?

Upvote 0
the bird pin looks like a c. 1920s piece. it would have originally been gold plated probably brass or copper. many of these pins were enameled, too. do i see some enamel remnants there in its wings?
The wings appear to be a metallic blue color, the body kind of looks red. I rubbed the back lightly, and it looks like it is plated. Not sure how to get it cleaned up better. I have it soaking in mineral oil now. Maybe try aluminum jelly, once I can find some. Its a pretty neat pin, I bet it was real nice when new. Looks like a sparrow or swallow.

I can see the writing on the thimble better It looks like TOUJOURS FIDELE which is French for "Always Faithful" Still unsure of the makers mark, maybe a fox.

As for the button, im probably imagining seeing letters and shapes "wanting it to be more than it is" , but it is really starting to look like it was gilded.

Thanks for replying. 1920s makes sense to me, as the pendant was found near a 1917 and 1919 wheat penny, around the same depth.
I found my no date SLQ and my bud got his 1891 V Nickel a little further down the hill by the water.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back