Well Looks Like a Shoe Repair Form--well NOT!!!! so any ideas!!

36coupe

Oct 9, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• IMG_3343.JPG
    IMG_3343.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 80
  • IMG_3344.JPG
    IMG_3344.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 88
  • IMG_3345.JPG
    IMG_3345.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 82
no idea but cool and weird find

Upvote 0
Knobby item reminds me of a way to key it into a base to hold it. Red in cup area may be polish? Shoe form for baby shoes?
Or a doorstop.

Upvote 0
When I removed an old wall hanging sink years ago, it had mounting cleats that looked a lot like your piece.

Upvote 0
That looks like a rocker arm. Probably from a early model Chevy. You can see where the push rod was fitted in the back. And also where a stud went through the rocker arm.

Upvote 0
A rocker arm wouldn't be cast iron in the O.P.'s post he says it's cast iron.

Upvote 0
Many companies had cast iron rockers, but, this just doesn't look like any I've seen. It should have some oil passages for lubrication and a different tip area where it would push against the valve stem. The angle of the center hole doesn't look right for a rocker either.

Upvote 0
Many companies had cast iron rockers, but, this just doesn't look like any I've seen. It should have some oil passages for lubrication and a different tip area where it would push against the valve stem. The angle of the center hole doesn't look right for a rocker either.

Did not think cast would hold up to that kind of abuse.Sorry for doubting the idea of a rocker arm.

Upvote 0
The spot on the back of the item seems like it would be to position it and the hole would be for a screw to fasten item down and the cup type of hole was for an adjustable arm like on side mirrors on cars.

Upvote 0
When I looked at it, my first thought is that it's a hold down guide from an old sickle bar mower but I couldn't find a match online right away.... If that's not what it is, I suspect it's something very similar to that... Here's a pic of a modern one...

guide.jpg

Upvote 0
The characteristics of the rust-encrustation and corrosion on this unidentified object show it is made of simple cast-iron. A rocker-arm (from a vehicle engine) would be cast steel, not cast-iron.

Upvote 0
That is one of the more intriguing "genuine whatzits" I have ever seen.

Upvote 0
antique-vintage-cast-iron-planet-jr-no-300a-drill-garden-seed-seeder-planter.jpg This is the only thing I could come up with that is cast and shaped like a shoe ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,:icon_scratch:

Upvote 0
It does resemble a rocker arm.

Cast iron is the preferred material for automotive rocker arms. Most common cast iron engines use cast iron rocker arms. Rocker arms for high performance engines are almost always cast iron. Cast iron has better compressive strength than steel and is more resistant to corrosion in an engine environment. It's also self lubricating and wears better than steel.

It would be interesting to see this cleaned up. If it's a rocker arm I think you will find the pip on the flat side is a headless adjusting screw.

Here are the upgraded chevy cast iron rocker arms sold by Comp Cams.

$_1.JPG

Too many backyard chevy mechanics that can tell how much carbon is in the iron with a picture. Here's a close up of the obviously sand cast iron comp cams rocker linked above.

s-l1600.jpg

More rocker arm education for those born after 1990.

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Upvote 0

Cast iron is the preferred material for automotive rocker arms. Most common cast iron engines use cast iron rocker arms. Rocker arms for high performance engines are almost always cast iron. Cast iron has better compressive strength than steel and is more resistant to corrosion in an engine environment. It's also self lubricating and wears better than steel.

It would be interesting to see this cleaned up. If it's a rocker arm I think you will find the pip on the flat side is a headless adjusting screw.

where did you get that information from????
your link from summit im almost positive is wrong as the stock ones are cast steel not cast iron
in the last at least 50 years stamped steel or aluminum rocker arms have been used in any and all performance applications [and that is not getting into any exotic metals]
also cast iron is weaker then cast steel when it comes to levering with it like would be done with a rocker arm
Rocker Arms 101 - Everything You Need To Know - Vette Magazine

The most common rocker material is steel. Stamped steel was the OEM standard for Gen I and II, while cast steel was-and is-the standard for Gen III and IV. While these are suitable for OEM and basic performance, the aftermarket and racing communities demand more exotic options. Nothing screams high performance more than a set of anodized-aluminum roller rockers, regardless of their true positive effect. Nonetheless, high-strength alloy aluminum rocker arms are good, lightweight performers. Basic aluminum rocker arms are available with cast-alloy or extruded bodies, and high-end aluminum rocker arms are available machined from billet alloys.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Most definitely not a rocker arm of any sort. The hole is tapered for a machine screw and the pin on the bottom went into a hole to keep it from rotating. The cup probably held one side of a metal rod Definitely looks to be part of a machine to me. IMO

Upvote 0
Long cut, certainly possible--are you looking bottom middle to see the relic.
Mystery relic must be considered early farming tool considering where it was found.
Huge farming area with house possibly a football field to the east. Farm house is shown on an 1875 map. Close by to this relic is the possible remains of an early structure possibly a log cabin being used while the massive farm house was being built. This spring with the detector some of these questions will be solved.

Upvote 0

Here are the upgraded chevy cast iron rocker arms sold by Comp Cams.

View attachment 1526771

those are stamped steel rockers not cast anything in your pic
and in the Ebay ad they for sure are not rail style rockers
also the title says cast iron but in the add it says steel for material

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back