Well Its Almost Complete

flintdigger

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2010
Well It's Almost Complete

I got out early and went to one of my favorite hunting spots and found this sticking out of the dirt base up, I gently pulled it out and the last bit of the tip was broken off almost straight across. It still measures 2 3/4 inches, sorry I didn't put a measuring tape beside it before I took the photo. This was the only thing that I found other than some flakes and chips. Here it is.
Allmostafulldrill096.jpg

Upvote 0
Re: Well It's Almost Complete

Would have been a nice one. Most of the "drill" forms that i find are just pieces as well. Hopefully you will find the tip!

Chuck

I feel lucky to have found this much of it because, I found it in a plowed field.

To tell the truth about it, I am not really sure about the base type. This is the first one with a base like this that have ever found. I have been looking through the things in my collection and I don't seem to have one with a base like it. It looks like it was made from a old worn out point the shoulder or what's left of the shoulder is about 1 inch wide. I hope someone that might know a bit more will jump in and offer some idea's on it.

Maybe sharpened way down from a bifuricate point...??? Maybe a Kirk type? Just a guess but still a nice find in any condition.

I noticed that that where the tip is broken, the break is very straight across with no rough edge at all it almost look's like the piece was still used in some way after the tip was broken. The broken end is very smooth.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back