Weird wooden bowl (I guess I stumped you or something?) lol Please help

gingin

Greenie
Oct 18, 2006
I found this bowl. It looks like it's hand carved. It's stamped Japan on the bottom. My question is, what is the weird thing in the center of it? It looks like a bundt type bowl or something but it has a washer or something with a screw in the middle of it. I just cannot figure out what it would be used for. Maybe it's not a bowl at all? I don't know. Need your help please. Any ideas?
Thanks!

Attachments

• PICT0009.JPG
    PICT0009.JPG
    67.7 KB · Views: 592
  • PICT0012.JPG
    PICT0012.JPG
    52.6 KB · Views: 544
Re: Weird wooden bowl

Couple more pictures of it.

Attachments

• PICT0013.JPG
    PICT0013.JPG
    46.9 KB · Views: 529
  • PICT0014.JPG
    PICT0014.JPG
    76.8 KB · Views: 552
Upvote 0
I can't tell for sure, but maybe some help... the designs look hand carved, but the bowl is obviously spun. Judging from the wear patterns around the side/bottom, I would guess something was attached to the center post that rotated. Wouldn't have been a grinder, wood is too soft for that. Possibly something to crush up soft stuff like fish? A poi maker? Or a juicer?

Upvote 0
I vaguely recall decades ago seeing something similar being used as a pipe smoker's ashtray, the pipe bowl was tapped out against the center post.

Upvote 0
I have seen something like it...My grandmother had something like that when making cakes and such.

Upvote 0
Must be a bck east thing... LOL! All of the nut bowls I have seen have small holes drilled in the center post for tools to dig the meat out of the nuts. Ah well, got me.... LOL! ;)

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back