Weird rimfire round...?

MDnoob

Apr 23, 2003
Here are the pics....didn't take any good ones...it looked like it may have been hollowpoint, but I didn't really check it, the lead was falling apart, and I didn't want to mess with it too much.? I would get another pic of it, but I threw it in the trash with a bunch of used cat litter..... The coin next to it is a penny. BTW, it had no writing on the bottom.

Attachments

• rimfireround.JPG
    rimfireround.JPG
    23.2 KB · Views: 362
  • rimfireround2.JPG
    rimfireround2.JPG
    48.9 KB · Views: 348
Upvote 0
From the picture you posted I would say that it is a Winchester 22 supper short. Winchester stop making them about 30 years ago, mostly used in single shot rifles. Hope this helps.

I would say it was about 8 or 9mm, It was a good bit larger than a .22

I have never seen anything like it, but I haven't been around guns enough to have seen anything really unusual...

Look's like a old .32 Short that was used in the old Hopkin & Allen 5 shot pistol, I seem to remember them reffered to as an "Owl Gun", I used to have one somewhere, seem's like the patent date on it was 1899. You can probably do a google search.

Maybe so...from what I know of their design, I would say that rimfire ammo should be able to go off easier than normal...I am not big on leaving live ammo lying around.

Almost everything I dig that isn't a coin finds it's way to the trash or recycle bin pretty darn quick! 8)

Looks to be a .41 Rimfire. Used in a few pistols and the early lever action rifles, circa about the time of Custar et al.

Hmm.... It was only about 1" down.... but was obviously old since the lead was really falling apart. Strange...other things in the area from the 60's were at least 2" down.

Just goes to show you never know what you are going to find..........................

MY GUESS IS A 32.....WAS THERE AN H STAMPED ON THE BOTTOM....AND CAN YOU DIG IT OUT OF THE TRASH AND SEND IT TO ME....I COLLECT OLD BRASS AND BULLETS.....HH
LONE GUNMAN

Sorry, but the trash went out yesterday....it was in with the kitty litter anyway...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back