Weird old coin

scotto

Bronze Member
Dec 23, 2006
My first M/D find
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Calling out the coin experts here for help!

About 25 years ago, my dad gave me a cache of old coins. I had just about forgotten about them until today, when I went thru the safety deposit box and I found this coin among them.

It's pretty cruddied up, so I did a pencil scratch on paper on both sides of it, which proved not much help at all. It appears to have the star of David on it, and I can't make out much else.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Attachments

• aweirdcoin1.jpg
    aweirdcoin1.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 931
Can you post a pic of the other side?

Depending on the size, it's a falus or some multiple denomination thereof (2, 3, 4) from the Kingdom of Morocco and dates from the 1800's. (The date on the coin will be in the 1200's and is a Hejira / Islamic calendar, date.)
MO-1.JPGMO-2.JPG

Upvote 0
scotto said:
BTW, any suggestions on cleaning this coin? I don't want to screw it up, I'm good at that. ::)

One option would be to soak it for a few weeks in olive oil, then clean with a soft-bristle brush and finish with a cloth.

However, some forum members have had excellent results with other methods, too, so your best bet would be to hold off until they've posted their suggestions.

Upvote 0
Car battery, jumper cables, one gallon of salt water and stand back!! KIDDING.

Welcome. I like the use of Kano Kroil. Eats crud and guaranteed not to harm metal. It is slow working. I don't use olive oil myself. Some other fine folks have had great luck with it though. We use it to eat crud from rusty part. Water Displacement No. 40 does a fine job, but, it's base is fish oil. Other suggestions are bound to come along quickly. GL with it!

Laater...

Upvote 0
Nice ID PBK... any indication as to value?

I also have no opinion as to olive oil... I've used it on coins and buttons and it sure works, but the oil seems to keep seeping back out forever! I'm not afraid to clean a coin I'll never get rid of, but maybe you should think twice if its valuable. There are tons of opinions on this very thing in the treasurenet coins forum, check it out if your unsure at all how to clean coins.

Upvote 0
scotto, my advice is not to try and clean it, because it looks to far gone anyway and any attempt to clean it might lift of any remaining detail. ;)

Upvote 0
Hi, yeah it does depend on the size of the coin. My guess is that this is a 1/2 Falus, if so the value in it's condition is about US$ 3

Happy Hunting!

Upvote 0
The olive oil worked pretty well. I let it soak for a week. It brought out a little more detail, thanks guys.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back