Weird object with flap...

Jameyjg01

Mar 17, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Need help identifying this object. Has a moving flap and the mounting studs are not threaded. Also they look to small to support any weight, so don't think it is a pull or handle. Any ideas?

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1465652332.777215.jpgImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1465652359.994150.jpgImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1465652378.802715.jpg

Rein guides were very common on horse tack ,back to Roman times even.

A fly terret was just a fancier type but if I'm right , were used on collars as accessories rather than the real rein guides (rein guides also being positioned elsewhere besides collars) and standard collar guides which they were mounted near..(fly terrets being on collars between outer collar rein guides for example.)
A working team of draft horses for example being slow movers usually could use something to distinguish them/bling them out a little ,and hey if it was thought to reduce flies annoying your horses ,all the better.
Kinda like crotal bells being accessories.
If you had the means ,you could deck your team out fancy as you like.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I do believe releventchair and mojjax solved the mystery! Thanks! Probably used to as deterrent for flys because it isn't fancy... I wished I could find a picture of one on a horse. Marking as solved and many thanks to releventchair and mojjax!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back