Weird coin

cyzak

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2018
Mountains of Western Colorado
Detector(s) used
My intuition and conscious reasoning, a good tape measure and compass do the math its out there.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can not figure out if this was a coin or a piece off of a coin.Any help greatly appreciated.
IMG_1162.jpeg
IMG_1161.jpeg

Interesting coin. I assume you didn't dig that.

It looks to be a Mediaeval Indian coin known as a 'fanam'., similar (but not an exact match) to this one:

Fanam.jpg

A few words of caution. These coins were gold, but yours looks to have a gold-ish surface on one side only (maybe that's just a lighting effect) but the interior visible where it's cracked seems to be a different metal to the exterior. If so, it might be a modern replica or a fake.

The Dutch also made ;replicas; of these coins in later times (typically 17th/18th Century and into the 19th Century) for use in trade. The Dutch imitations weren't usually produced in inferior metals to the gold origials, but were more a way of offering a gold currency medium in a more readily recognised/accepted form when trading with the Near East..

Last edited:
Interesting coin. I assume you didn't dig that.

It looks to be a Mediaeval Indian coin known as a 'fanam'., similar (but not an exact match) to this one:

View attachment 2091755

A few words of caution. These coins were gold, but yours looks to have a gold-ish surface on one side only (maybe that's just a lighting effect) but the interior visible where it's cracked seems to be a different metal to the exterior. If so, it might be a modern replica or a fake.

The Dutch also made ;replicas; of these coins in later times (typically 17th/18th Century and into the 19th Century) for use in trade. The Dutch imitations weren't usually produced in inferior metals to the gold origials, but were more a way of offering a gold currency medium in a more readily recognised/accepted form when trading with the Near East..
Thank you Sir for your expertise I trust your opinion greatly here.No this was not dug, it has had its elemental composition tested and is gold but is it a real coin I am still researching but it is a tough one.

i asked w other avenues of expertise

They suggest its a fanam

we have a lot of folk here with a great depth of knowledge with coins, it would be nice to have more to expand this forum... more "show and tell", so to speak...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back