Weekend trip to Portland ~ got a few goodies!

oddcoins

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2006
Eugene Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab eTrac ~ DetectorPro Pocket Uniprobe
Hello!

My wife and I took off work on Friday and we drove up to the Portland area to stay the weekend with my sister and brother-in-law. We all went to a huge comedy show that lasted for several days ~ THE BRIDGETOWN COMEDY FESTIVAL (www.bridgetowncomedyfestival.com) ~ we had such a great time! This was the 3rd annual festival ~ we went last year, and we'll be going to it each and every year until the end of time!

I ended up only detecting for about 90 minutes on Friday in the Sellwood district in Portland. It was pretty clean ~ I dug a couple older nickels, and a 1920-S wheat cent. I found a porcelain button along side the 1920-S wheat in the same hole!

I didn't get a chance to go detecting again until late Sunday afternoon. We drove south of Portland to a town I had never been to before called CANBY. It was a cute little town! I was detecting in the city park and a guy at the park told be about an old church down the road that I should go check out ~ it was only a couple blocks away. I started detecting the city easement out front of the church and went to dig a target ~ that's went I realized the tree roots had all but taken over this grassy strip! Very hard to dug! But the target was too good to pass up, so I kept at it. After about ten minutes I finally pulled out a silver 1947-S Rosie dime. There was several targets but I decided to cherry pick only the high tones since the digging was so hard! I only dug one more target there ~ and it was a silver 1958-D Rosie dime!

Here's a break down of all that I dug:
1947-S Rosie Dime
1958-D Rosie Dime
1947-D Jefferson Nickel
1953-S Jefferson nickel
6 Wheat cents dating from 1920 to 1958
17 clad quarters
9 clad dimes
8 modern nickels
45 copper memorial cents
8 zinc cents

I took pic's of the coins before and after I cleaned 'em up. These two Rosie dimes are my silver coin finds #51 & #52 for the year.

Thanks for looking!
Neil

Attachments

• April23and25-2010dirty.jpg
    April23and25-2010dirty.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 668
  • April23and25-2010clean.jpg
    April23and25-2010clean.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 668
  • April25-2010DIMES.jpg
    April25-2010DIMES.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 663
Upvote 0
Two more silver for the pile good hunt :icon_thumleft: Dd60

A little silver here, a little silver there... :thumbsup:
They all add to the coffers Neil. Glad
you had some time to get out....
Congrats...Gold Nuggets :hello:

gold nuggets said:
A little silver here, a little silver there... :thumbsup:
They all add to the coffers Neil. Glad
you had some time to get out....
Congrats...Gold Nuggets :hello:

Thanks man!

Yeah, I was hoping to get out detecting more while we were out of town, but I still had a good time finds the few little goodies that I did.

Nice persistence in getting that silver between the tree roots. I bet you are glad it did not turn out to be a clad dime! There are times I am all but certain I am digging silver and my hopes are dashed by a clad coin. Its especially frustrating when the digging is tough. Aaargh! Your nickels turned out terrific after the cleaning, even getting a little luster back. How did you clean them?

Nice silver man,

You'll hit 150 this yr.

HH Jer

terpfan said:
Nice persistence in getting that silver between the tree roots. I bet you are glad it did not turn out to be a clad dime! There are times I am all but certain I am digging silver and my hopes are dashed by a clad coin. Its especially frustrating when the digging is tough. Aaargh! Your nickels turned out terrific after the cleaning, even getting a little luster back. How did you clean them?

Thanks man!

I actually didn't do much to the nickels yet ~ just a quick scrub with a wire brissled brush. But I'll tumble them with all the clad at the end of the month ~ they'll clean up even more then!

8^)

Hi, from a former Oregonian.
Have you ever hunted any of the thousands of old logging camps up in the mts? My Dad lived in one for over a year, up the
Grand Rhonde, out of LaGrande. Must have been much much lost in those woods, as they had their own store, lunchroom,
and semi-permanent houses. Let me know, if you would, if you plan to go/do go and find some nice stuff.
hikeinmts

hikeinmts said:
Hi, from a former Oregonian.
Have you ever hunted any of the thousands of old logging camps up in the mts? My Dad lived in one for over a year, up the
Grand Rhonde, out of LaGrande. Must have been much much lost in those woods, as they had their own store, lunchroom,
and semi-permanent houses. Let me know, if you would, if you plan to go/do go and find some nice stuff.
hikeinmts

Hello!

You know, I haven't detecting any kind of a site like that! Sounds like a great place to find some keepers! I'll have to do some research and find some spots! THANKS for the idea!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back