Cape Hunter

May 17, 2019
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wednesday was a warm enough to do some digging. Still some patches of snow.

Old root cellar 5 min drive from my home. Surprising not many have dug at the spot. Usually find left over holes. Maybe others are cleaning up their act. Have found Civil War related buttons at this site. The home owner enlisted at the beginning of the Civil War in Mass Volunteer. He was 60 years old! I found a couple of his Volunteer buttons last year. He died 4 years after the war ended. These items are from his homesite which was still occupied until the early 1920.

Four buckles two of which still have some goldleaf, one smaller buckle and Silver leaf still on the larger D buckle. I don't find that very often.

Star button is unusual for sure. Has a small chain around it which is separate from the button but stayed intact! Small hits of Goldleaf on a couple of links. The center looks to be glass with copper and silver sparkles and the white star imbedded. Certainly not plastic from that period. Back shows the age better with the shank still intact. I don't think it's military related but who knows.

Another button found in good shape has tiny hearts around a circle with remains of goldleaf. Back is even better with shank stilled gilded. They almost never are.

Two piece button has a interesting design but not in best condition. Also a plain tombac button.

Small Child's ring? Looks to be from the Boy Scouts? They were started in 1910 so maybe this is a early one?

Well, thanks for looking!
Bill

Attachments

• wed finds.jpg
    wed finds.jpg
    384.8 KB · Views: 65
  • star button.jpg
    star button.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 41
  • star button reverse.jpg
    star button reverse.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 40
  • hearts button.jpg
    hearts button.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 37
  • hearts button back.jpg
    hearts button back.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 35
  • two piece button front (1).jpg
    two piece button front (1).jpg
    119 KB · Views: 35
  • two piece button front (2).jpg
    two piece button front (2).jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 36
  • small ring.jpg
    small ring.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 40
  • small ring face.jpg
    small ring face.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 45
Upvote 12
Wednesday was a warm enough to do some digging. Still some patches of snow.

Old root cellar 5 min drive from my home. Surprising not many have dug at the spot. Usually find left over holes. Maybe others are cleaning up their act. Have found Civil War related buttons at this site. The home owner enlisted at the beginning of the Civil War in Mass Volunteer. He was 60 years old! I found a couple of his Volunteer buttons last year. He died 4 years after the war ended. These items are from his homesite which was still occupied until the early 1920.

Four buckles two of which still have some goldleaf, one smaller buckle and Silver leaf still on the larger D buckle. I don't find that very often.

Star button is unusual for sure. Has a small chain around it which is separate from the button but stayed intact! Small hits of Goldleaf on a couple of links. The center looks to be glass with copper and silver sparkles and the white star imbedded. Certainly not plastic from that period. Back shows the age better with the shank still intact. I don't think it's military related but who knows.

Another button found in good shape has tiny hearts around a circle with remains of goldleaf. Back is even better with shank stilled gilded. They almost never are.

Two piece button has a interesting design but not in best condition. Also a plain tombac button.

Small Child's ring? Looks to be from the Boy Scouts? They were started in 1910 so maybe this is a early one?

Well, thanks for looking!
Bill
Nice!!! Congrats!!!

That chain star button is one the coolest buttons I have ever seen!! I hope you get an ID on the ring!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back