We approach the 150th Anniversary of the Civil War

littleneckhalfshell

Jun 21, 2005
When I was a kid, the country was observing the 100th anniversary of the War Between the States, the American Civil War.
Where did the time go? We are on the brink of the 150th Anniversary of the Civil War, this fall is the 150th anniversary of the election of Abraham Lincoln and next year brings the firing on Ft. Sumpter! I just wonder if this will be an opportunity to have new leads and information uncovered regarding the war and if new interest will result in new finds, new opportunities and renewed value in the relics of the conflict.

Upvote 0
I'm very pessimistic about the coming 150th. anniversary concerning The War.
It has been ignored or outright not taught for the past 30 or so years in public schools.
Asking an 8th grade history class if they knew the words to the song "Dixie"-I was astounded that none of those kids even knew what it(Dixie) was.
And this was a Georgia classroom!!!
I expect it will be all about "slavery,slavery,slavery"& "slavery"...
Being old enough to remember the 100th anniversary being about the brave men on BOTH sides-I hope that I'm wrong...

Then comes the 150th anniversity of RECONSTRUCTION,when the 14th AMENDMENT took away the right to vote from those who had served in the Confederate cause-but who wants to remember the REPUBLICAN domination of THE SOUTH with carpetbaggers and scalawags?

ECS said:
Then comes the 150th anniversity of RECONSTRUCTION,when the 14th AMENDMENT took away the right to vote from those who had served in the Confederate cause-but who wants to remember the REPUBLICAN domination of THE SOUTH with carpetbaggers and scalawags?

Damn scalawags.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back