Whites Spectrum XLT

Attachments

• e.JPG
    e.JPG
    64.3 KB · Views: 401
  • MVC-874F.JPG
    MVC-874F.JPG
    57.4 KB · Views: 398
I miss my trips to Huntingdon ... My son went to Juniata College ... Pretty country up there. Use to see several guys hunting the fields up there from time to time, but never got the chance to meet any of them.

Upvote 0
Is there a story to go with this? I see the green check went up but I would like to know more about it.

DiggerDave in Pa. said:
This is about 1 inch across. It is marked - Waterville Mfg. Co. It was found with 1830-50 stuff. What's the story with this one?

Upvote 0
Re: Waterville eagle button back

Obviously the back to a two piece button, and a very unusal design as well. Question being what was the face.

Looking in my copy of McGuinn & Bazelon, Waterville was listed as a maker of fine Sporting buttons during the period already identified by Creskol. The only listing I see for a military for Waterville is a Navy cuff button.

But keep an open mind as unknown/unlisted button variants are surfacing everyday.

Upvote 0

Digger54 said:
Obviously the back to a two piece button, and a very unusal design as well. Question being what was the face.

Looking in my copy of McGuinn & Bazelon, Waterville was listed as a maker of fine Sporting buttons during the period already identified by Creskol. The only listing I see for a military for Waterville is a Navy cuff button.

But keep an open mind as unknown/unlisted button variants are surfacing everyday.
It doesn't look like anything is missing on this one. The metal is thin and a little bent. The shank is still intact. The eagle shows up better from the back side. This came from a very early site. The newest coin I found was a 1846 large cent. No new junk at all. Sites like this are hard to find. If it makes a noise. I dig it.

Upvote 0

DiggerDave in Pa. said:
Digger54 said:

It doesn't look like anything is missing on this one. The metal is thin and a little bent. The shank is still intact. The eagle shows up better from the back side. This came from a very early site. The newest coin I found was a 1846 large cent. No new junk at all. Sites like this are hard to find. If it makes a noise. I dig it.
No doubt in my mind that is a button back. Most are lipped upward like that. When I get home tonight I will send you some pics of typical button backs. Additionally flat buttons were quite thick versus thin.

Upvote 0
They started out as Leavenworths & Kendrick, from 1829-34; in 1837 they were known as Ives, Kendrick & Co; in 1847, they became Waterville Mfg. Co.

Almost all the sites that list buttons state they went out of business in the 1850s; however, the Greene County tax assessments for 1869 and 1870 show them listed:

http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~nygreen2/catskill_tax_assessment_1869_part_2.htm (about 15 from the bottom)

http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...+Manufacturing.+Co."&cd=9&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us (under 'Catskill Leeds', near the bottom)

I've read they were renamed Waterville Cutlery (they did, in fact, employ many English-born cutlers) and Water-Ville Co. No matter, they sold in 1890 and eventually placed in receivership in 1913.

Truth is, they were far better known for making pocket knives and said to be one of the top US makers. There aren't a lot of their buttons to be found on the internet; the ones you do find are usually 'sporting' buttons, stated to be made 1847-1850s (though some are claimed to the 1860s).

Check this link. The top 'rabbit' button has your backmark, etc.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300509799902+

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Upvote 0
"It doesn't look like anything is missing on this one. "

As promised, thought I would start with my heart breaker for you. Shown is a 24mm button back with a Hammon Turner Sons mark. The back has a bent loop and the sheet brass is very stiff. The maker only made one military button. I never found the face. I pounded the area, but being a deeply plowed field it is still possibly out there, but the land has changed hands and now I can't go back. I keep a copy of what that button face looked like with my back. CS36A with an RV60 rating. Those that seriously collect buttons know how much this is a heart breaker.

Attachments

• bbkingC.JPG
    bbkingC.JPG
    44.6 KB · Views: 281
Upvote 0
More button backs

Most are eagle button backs but some aren't with generic markings no way to id what was what.

Attachments

• bbss.JPG
    bbss.JPG
    42.8 KB · Views: 282
Upvote 0
Dave I just brought up a button with the same back, On the face of mine there are two doves

Upvote 0
here's my button

i just dug a sportsman button yesterday same backmark.i live in waterbury ct.waterville is a section of waterbury

Attachments

• MARCH 16TH 2 COPPER DAY 003.jpg
    MARCH 16TH 2 COPPER DAY 003.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 199
  • MARCH 16TH 2 COPPER DAY 001.jpg
    MARCH 16TH 2 COPPER DAY 001.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 193
  • MARCH 16TH 2 COPPER DAY 002.jpg
    MARCH 16TH 2 COPPER DAY 002.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 162
Last edited:
Upvote 0
i just dug a sportsman button yesterday same backmark.i live in waterbury ct.waterville is a suburb of waterbury

I have never ever seen a Sportsman with a Mtn. Lion(Puma,cougar) :hello2:

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I found a very nice button from Waterville Mfg. Co. Does anyone have any information on this button? Possibly military? Thank you

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1422227733607.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1422227733607.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 76
  • uploadfromtaptalk1422227765291.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1422227765291.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 70
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back