Watercolor brought the luck, "evil" brought the gold!

twistidd

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6 w/ Sun-Ray DX-1, 950 coil and 6x10 DD, Minelab Excalibur II, Garrett Ace 250, Garmin Etrex GPS
Watercolor brought the luck, "evil" brought the gold!

Yesterday morning (Saturday), I met up with Mikewaz again at a place I've never really found much at, mostly because much of the area is trashy and I haven't ordered my 6x10 DD coil yet. Yet, I know there's stuff there because Mike has found silver there utilizing the knowledge he has with his machines. We had been out for a couple hours at least with nothing but clad to put in our pockets, and then I look up and see watercolor walking out toward me. Later, I would regard his visit as the coming of some secular messiah destined to assist me in finding the goods.

Within FIVE minutes of his hunt, I hear him yell, "V nickel!" Wow, this guy is on fire! Here I was, swinging away for a few hours and the closest thing I've got to a V is pulltabs. That's when it hit me- I really wasn't listening for nickels, just more conductive higer tones, and maybe that's what I needed to do this day, just hunt nickels, McNickel-esque.

So about fifteen minutes into my nickel hunt, and a few beaver tails later, I found a 1916-D buffalo nickel. I was on the board for the day with an oldie, so I kept at it, and about ten minutes later, I was digging a solid 11-12 signal and out popped the gold crucifix from about three inches. I wiped the back of it, immediately seeking a hallmark or any kind of marking, and saw a 750 (18K) on the little "clasp" thing, but no marking anywhere on the back of the cross. Mark told me it might have been buried there by someone who believed it was "cursed", as many people of certain backgrounds do when they want to rid themselves of jewelry given to them by an ex, or perhaps someone who didn't turn out to be as good a person as they expcted. Mark thinks it's gold, and I don't...so I'm taking it to the jeweler today to see what the judge says. Still, it got the heart going!

Later, I dug another buffalo nickel (no date), and then met up with Mike at an adjacent field. As I was walking to Mike to inform him of my impending departure, I got this weird signal. There was definitely a pulltab there, but off to the side there was a higher note. It sounded too good to be caused from the edge of the pulltab. I wiggled the coil slightly next to the low pulltab tone and was just able to squeak a 77 VDI. But to be sure, I dug the pulltab signal first, and it was indeed a pulltab. I put the plug back and scanned the hole again. NOW, the signal was perfect, and the machine was giving me a 79-81 at 6 inches! Dug the plug and right there at the bottom was my first and only silver of the day, a 1954-D rosey.

A lot of blood, sweat, and tears went into today's hunt, but I'd say it was worth it, even if the crucifix ends up being a fake. I found a folding knife lying in some shrubbery that still works very well and was easy to clean. And, tons and tons of trash. Two wheaties that are way too pitted and crusty to even bother scanning, a '35 and a ??. Good times!

Hope to see some of your finds this week!

Joe

Attachments

• 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    94 KB · Views: 233
  • 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    69.7 KB · Views: 244
  • IMG.jpg
    IMG.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 241
Re: Watercolor brought the luck, "evil" brought the gold!

AWESOME job bud!!! Hey I bet that cross is 18k also!!!! From what I have seen most of the time the cross has no mark but the clasp and the chain clasp both have the markings. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Hope it turns out to be real!!!!

Wow, Joe!!! Buffs, silver, gold, and cold stainless steel!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :icon_king:

Looks like a great hunt to me!

I'm betting it's gold, too, but if you want a sure bet, I'll trade you for a sterling dragon ring! ;D

Great day of hunting Joe!!! I got my fingers crossed that the cross is gold! :hello2:
Best to have it tested though, especially if you plan on selling it. I've thought for the last year that my best find was real 'cause it was stamped 18k. Well after selling it recently on Ebay for $380, I ended up having to send the buyers money back. He had it tested and it was plated. :crybaby2:

Curses! Foiled again!
I hope not, you did the pluggin' Joe and some fine pluggin' it was.

I'll tell ya, it was worth the trip out there to see you recover
that gold crucifix. . . I'm surprised you didn't take my advice
and re-bury it (after I took mental notice of it's location
coordinates and VDI signature ::))

Very nice on the silver & Buff's too :thumbsup:

Really great FINDS JOE ! HOPE ITS GOLD, IT SEEMS 18K IS ALWAYS PLATED! FOUND A RING MARKED 18K AND I'M PRETTY SURE ITS PLATED!

Very Nice finds Twisted.............Good to see your killing Buffallo's again..........Hope the Cross is real Gold too.

Mark told me the exact story on the phone. It's almost as if he wrote for you....anyway
Big congrats on those finds..
Myself , I would think it's 18K ..but then again I know nothing.....

Congrats on turning a frustrating start into a good hunt. That's a good reminder to dig the low tones! Anyway, whenever you do get your double d, I think it will really help. I have a 11" DD which is bigger than my stock 10" elliptical, but does wonders in trashy areas (it opened up a lot of ground for me). Hope that crucifix ends up being gold for you.
-Jon

Congrats on a mighty super find. Sure looks gold to me. :thumbsup:

Gibbsium said:
Sure looks like gold to me. Very nice. Why don't you think it's gold?

Because it doesn't look, feel, smell, or taste anything like gold at a closer glance. The little loop IS gold, and it looks different than the cross. The crucifix looks like plated pewter, but...we'll see. I know Mark is convinced it is gold, but I am still doubtful. I took it to a jeweler yesterday but the resident jewelry maker wasn't in. I'll have to take it in tomorrow, gotta be in Chinatown tonight and the circumstances surrounding my being there doesn't involve authenticating the crucifix.

Damn, I hope Mark is right, though.

Joe

Well that looks like a great hunt complete with all the fixins...
Bullets, pulltabs, shotgun brass, gold silver, buffalos and copper, clad, a knife -
a veritable cornucoppia of findings.

If you say the cross is gold, it's gold.
Many years ago a guy sold me a heavy chain and told me it was gold, so I believed him.
At the time I just didn't realize he meant gold colored.
Haven't bought much jewelry on the street since then. :laughing7:

Congratulations on your finds. Nice early date Buffalo!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back