✅ SOLVED Waterbury Navy Button with Man OWar Backmark

Turnabuck

Jul 5, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Waterbury Navy Button with Man O'War Backmark

Has anyone seen this backmark before? I could not find any references on google other than a reference that a woman had claimed to have found a similar button on one of the button sites. It is a US Navy button with the following backmark. Waterbury Button Co. Pat. Pend. Man O'War. Any help would be appreciated. IMG_8230.JPGIMG_8231.JPG

Here is info from the USA - Button Collectors Resource Site Untitled 1 Two further back dies are noted by ABM (Waterbury Button Company Back Die List C1875-1935) worded `Patented' and `Patent Renewed 1935' and Scovill die cards worded ` Pat. Dec 6-98' .... There is a report by an American collector of `... a navy uniform button whose backmark reads Waterbuy Button Co. Pat. Pend. Man O War. ..' Tina Lee to buttonbytes see also quote above from ABM

Might be a rare button pretty much just for the back-mark. Naval button- post civil war. Somewhere between 1900 and 1935. Never seen this back-mark before from the Waterbury company which was a major button manufacture in the 19th century up til today and is the only Civil War button producer operating today .. perhaps CannonBallGuy or one of are other buttons guru could help you further!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Naval button- post civil war. Somewhere between 1875 and 1935.
Your guess is not true this time Hut. Definitely 20th century letter fonts. Oh its US Navy but Im pretty sure this Navy eagle button is post 1935. Clue: notice the eagles head.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
BigCypressHunter is correct... according the Albert button-book, in 1941 the US Navy ordered that the Navy button's design be changed, to have the eagle's head looking toward the eagle's right side (which means the left side of the button). See info on page 103 in the Albert book, and buttons #NA-121 though 123.

Upvote 0
More info on "Waterbury Button Co. Pat. Pend. Man O War." would be nice.. From what I see it is a very rare back-mark? Unless the poster marked this "Solved" I do not think this is "Solved" unless more info on the back-mark is noted.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I agree not solved. Not really. All we know is that its post 1941. It would be nice to know more about it.

Upvote 0
Another clue that seems to have been ignored is the metal thingy attached to the back of the button. Maybe someone will chime in and help me here but I think its a modern version of the old ring loops so a button can be attached without sewing.

Here is the WWI type of loop (below). I believe these cotter pin type thingys were used to attach a button without sewing and/or so they can be removed before laundering. This may be a very modern US Navy button.

Attachments

• GS button loop.jpg
    GS button loop.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 308
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back