Water Pick?

I don't and I don't think many other people know what a Water Pick is....

What is a water pick? :icon_scratch:

Keep @ it and HH!!

Shaw said:
Has anyone ever used a water pick to clean items? I have one in the attic and just wondered how effective it would be at dirt removal.
I find myself experimenting with new ways to clean artifacts for fun.
Sure have used it many times, mostly for small items where I wanted to get in the crook and cranny places. You can do the same with just a hard running tap, but this is more precise. I usually use mine with warm or hot water, it will also remove some gunk/oxide along with the dirt. One bad thing about it is that it splashed over everything so if you don't watch out, and you know what the misses thinks about that!

MUD(S.W.A.T) said:
I don't and I don't think many other people know what a Water Pick is....

What is a water pick? :icon_scratch:

Keep @ it and HH!!
to clean teeth. it sprays a fine pulsating jet of water.

That's interesting. Should work. However, how much pressure does that thing have??

johnnycat said:
That's interesting. Should work. However, how much pressure does that thing have??
Not much really, if you put your finger on it you don't really notice, its pulsating so that dislodges most stuff. Great for cleaning baked in mud and gook.

woody50 said:
johnnycat said:
Not much really, if you put your finger on it you don't really notice, its pulsating so that dislodges most stuff. Great for cleaning baked in mud and gook.
only delicate items, I guess.

bigcypresshunter said:
woody50 said:
johnnycat said:
only delicate items, I guess.
Delicate items, especially old (thin) tin objects (17th and earlier), I clean as little and softly as I can. And take my time. It can take several days if the mud and gunk is thick or hard, do a bit, and let it soak in warm water (there are methods to keep the water warm). Then later or the next day take another little layer off and repeat. But that is with about less than 1% of my finds of course. The rest clean up good just with normal methods. I don't use the water pick anymore though, not even for bottles. Not really necessary I guess (for me of course).

Hi,

I've been wondering about this; perhaps it's not strong enough. I might suggest long (~week) soaks in clean distilled/demineralized water separated by water pick treatments. Don't rush it. Consider a stereomicroscope (~20/40x, $120) and create your own set of tools (this is how I work on the coins). Let us know how it comes out.

Jim

StogieJim said:
Hi,
I've been wondering about this; perhaps it's not strong enough. I might suggest long (~week) soaks in clean distilled/demineralized water separated by water pick treatments. Don't rush it. Consider a stereomicroscope (~20/40x, $120) and create your own set of tools (this is how I work on the coins). Let us know how it comes out.
Jim
Thanks Jim, not it is not a very strong stream, but it is pulsesating and that is what works. I have only ever used the water pic in the past to remove gunk in very small places, which I could not reach by other means.

My method would be is to first thing to use to remove mud and such is washing with water (maybe a bit warm, its not then so darn cold). I would do that first in normal water, and after most or all of the gunk is out then. I then use toothpicks and such also to remove mud in the crooks and crannies, and although I have in the past used a water pic I don't anymore. I find with washing the object and using tooth picks or small pieces of wood that I can clean an object good enough. Just be carefull not to scratch the object.

I would however be carefull not to leave an (metal) object in water (tap or distilled) too long. If I do this I get another problem, and that is that an other sort of oxide forms on the object, that is my experience. Don't know why that is (Help Daryl!). It could be just calcium but I don't know. With distilled water I only leave object in that for short periods, say a hour or so. Don't know if that is correct or not, its just what I do. Maybe someone will comment?

After cleaning with water, dry (maybe with a hair dryer) then seal with MicroCrystalline Wax or what ever you use to keep the object from oxidizing. Hope this helps...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back