Watch where you step!

mxer47

Jul 28, 2013

Attachments

• image-1104491357.jpg
    image-1104491357.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 262
Upvote 0
Nice shot. Welcome to t-net be safe and good luck in your hunts.

No guards. Most of my time was spent in the water scouting bedrock outcroppings. I found him when I climbed up to get some perspective of the flow during floods. It looked like a good place for a snake so I was careful.

Another interesting place for them to be is in among large leafed water plants like around the edges of a pool especially once the day heats up. They lay in the shade offered by the larger leaf (one to a plant), I almost stepped on one in such a location, it was all coiled up on itself just taking it easy waiting for some food to hop by.

Nice spot though mxer as at times we can be so consumed by what we are doing or at least I can be that I zone out on what is around me. Welcome and it is good to be alert!.............................63bkpkr

By the way and if you do not mind what state are you in and what type of snake is that. From the shape of the head it is a venomous snake but the color is throwing me off. I'm used to grey mottled coloration mountain rattlesnakes here in Northern California. Thanks!!

Last edited:
Another interesting place for them to be is in among large leafed water plants like around the edges of a pool especially once the day heats up. They lay in the shade offered by the larger leaf (one to a plant), I almost stepped on one in such a location, it was all coiled up on itself just taking it easy waiting for some food to hop by.

Nice spot though mxer as at times we can be so consumed by what we are doing or at least I can be that I zone out on what is around me. Welcome and it is good to be alert!.............................63bkpkr

By the way and if you do not mind what state are you in and what type of snake is that. From the shape of the head it is a venomous snake but the color is throwing me off. I'm used to grey mottled coloration mountain rattlesnakes here in Northern California. Thanks!!

GREAT BASIN RATTLESNAKE. Crotalus oreganus lutosus

Nice Find, If you learn to enjoy wildlife viewing with TH'ing it makes every trip all the better!!.
I got into TH'ing as a sidetrack from of fieldh work herpetology. .

Good looking snake. Glad you saw him first and was able to shoot him with your camera. I personally am seeing a lot more snakes this year, but for much fewer rattlers. One of the very few people I bumped into prospecting this year bragged about how he killed 47 last fall. Guess he is a fan of rats because I certainly am seeing a lot more rat nests.

Stay alert, stay safe, and find a ton of Au

Its senseless to kill snakes, even rattlers. They will get away from you if you give them a chance.

There are times when you may have to tho.

Welcome to the net mxer47.
I have steped on one of those suckers. Boy talk about doing the highstep into the endzone! Lucky he was sunning himself on a cool fall morning and was streached out and not coiled. Still scary tho as he coiled pretty quick. Stay alert and safe.

Good Luck!

BH Prospector

Welcome to the net mxer47.
I have steped on one of those suckers. Boy talk about doing the highstep into the endzone! Lucky he was sunning himself on a cool fall morning and was streached out and not coiled. Still scary tho as he coiled pretty quick. Stay alert and safe.

Good Luck!

BH Prospector

I can picture it! :D

Just the other day I was detecting in tall dead grass and felt something hit the back of my leg. Thankfully I had the guards on.. Being bit in the middle of BFE wouldn't be good.

Good looking snake. Glad you saw him first and was able to shoot him with your camera. I personally am seeing a lot more snakes this year, but for much fewer rattlers. One of the very few people I bumped into prospecting this year bragged about how he killed 47 last fall. Guess he is a fan of rats because I certainly am seeing a lot more rat nests.

Stay alert, stay safe, and find a ton of Au

I have noticed the same thing. We had a really cold winter and I think that wiped out a lot of them.

tastes like chicken!

It must be the cooling weather I had not seen any for the last 6 weeks then 5 in three days. Two crossing the road about 2-3 feet one squished on road and one I almost stepped on 30 inches the size of the door opening it rattled when I stepped outa the house and onto the welcome matt it was tween the house and matt. Unfortanatley it was in the dog run of a clients home and I dispatched it with a flathead shovel. Its amazing that they still strike,coil and rattle without a head.

Took out a Green Mohave (No rattle) those are the dangerous ones. Did make good chile Trouble is it takes at least 4.( Bradshaw's)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back