WarranteT?? Coin pocket watch case

cmthunder

Mar 20, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silver pocket watch case says Warrantet Coin.
Is this a typo or version of some other Country?
Found on Eastern shore of Maryland at 1858 home site.
BA81AEDB-8C72-43B5-B950-3801F786E0D7.jpeg800B115D-21CB-4DD8-BCF5-44B393D37293.jpeg

I'm fairly certain it should be Warranted Coin.

I pulled this from a Trademark list:

WARRANTED
Used in marks of Cocker Bros., Ltd.
or Lockwood Bros., Ltd.
or Thomas Smith & Co.

I'm not sure if the above is one in the same but, from what I read, it seems to be.

Edit: Here's a link to look at... https://external-content.duckduckgo...id=OIP.oGWU2jYD6RxWxYH10rD9VgHaHa&pid=Api&f=1

I found one reference online but the logo was slightly different. It didn't have a star on it which may be due to a date issue.

Hope this helps some and if I come across any other info, I'll let you know.
-DH-

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
That case was probably made by the Star Case Co. Case makers used the term warranted to guarantee gold content. I think the word warrantet on this case was ment to be misleading.

OK, got it. That's probably why I was having a hard time finding information on its validity.

I only have limited information on Makers Marks and Trademarks and know very little about a Watch, obviously, and I appreciate the information.

Thanks again for your help!
-DH-

Upvote 0
Very interesting find, I've never found a pocket watch case cover in anything other then brass. :sadsmiley:
I think it is a typo or at least the 'D' has been so heavily worn that it now looks like a 'T' in the word "WARRANTED".

Here's an interesting example I found last year,
Dave

Attachments

• 20190630_222427.jpg
    20190630_222427.jpg
    432.2 KB · Views: 57
  • 800B115D-21CB-4DD8-BCF5-44B393D37293-crop.jpeg
    800B115D-21CB-4DD8-BCF5-44B393D37293-crop.jpeg
    405.8 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
Upvote 0
No...

Warranted was used by almost every maker of watches...

It indicates the "quality" is warranted.

Now when it says warranted for s certain number of years... say "warranted 25 years" this indicates the plating is warranted that long etc.

A 25 year one would be more than likely "gold filled".... 10 being plated and so on.

NOW... that is for some instances.

Upvote 0
"Guaranteed" and "Warranted" Cases

Gold-filled cases were often marked with a guarantee, another innovation credited to James Boss, which specified a number of years that the case was guaranteed to wear. A case that's marked "14K Warranted 20 Years" meant that the gold-filled case was made with a layer of 14K gold, and was guaranteed that the gold-layer would not wear through to the brass for a period of 20 years. If your case is marked "Warranted 20 Years" or "10 Year Guaranteed" or any other reference to a number of years or guarantee, then that is a sure indication that it is a gold-filled or gold-plated case. Note that the year-guarantee was related to the thickness of the gold layer, not to the karat-quality of the gold used in the gold layers. In general, a longer guarantee implied a thicker layer of gold. Most gold-filled cases were made with 10K or 14K gold.

The year-guarantee markings on cases continued until 1924, when the practice was prohibited by law due to the failure of some manufacturers to stand behind the so-called guarantees. If your watch case says "Guaranteed for x Years" you know that it was made prior to 1924. After 1924, gold-filled cases were simply marked "Gold-Filled" as seen below.

Nickel Alloy Cases

In addition to gold and gold-filled cases, manufacturers produced cases from many other materials as well. Nickel-alloy cases look similar to silver, and were produced under many names by American case manufacturers. Each manufacturer had their own unique name, and their own formulation, but cases were usually a mixture of Nickel (45%), Copper (54%) and Manganese (1%).

Manufacturers often chose names for their nickel-alloy cases which were suggestive of silver content, but which actually contained no silver.

Upvote 0
Wit all that babble said.

Your watch is coin silver.

Upvote 0
That’s what I had read that warranted coin meant it was made from coins.
I have found lots of pocket watch parts at this site.
I will post others soon.
Thanks to all the in depth info above.

Upvote 0
90 percent silver that's a sweet find ziv found many pocket watches but all stainless great job on finding that

Upvote 0
I had an old bottle that was embossed “Warranteed Flask, what the heck did that mean ?

Upvote 0
I had an old bottle that was embossed “Warranteed Flask, what the heck did that mean ?

Warranted to be a full pint.

Oval flasks embossed with WARRANTED, FULL MEASURE, GUARANTEED, or similar affirmative notations on the shoulder - often with the contents capacity (i.e., FULL PINT) embossed elsewhere on the body- are a very common flask made primarily from the mid to late 1890s until at least 1920 (Bellville Glass Co. 1905-1910; Illinois Glass Co. 1920; empirical observations). These "full measure" bottles had a specific capacity that was affirmed to the potential customer by the embossing and appear to be a reaction to the very common "scant" sizes which held less capacity than the named size would indicate.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back